The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new macbook pro retina display... no firewire !

Stefan Steib

yes and did you see - only ssd´s inside, max 768GB. No more 17 " and the "upgrade" of the MacPro´s is a lukewarm "tuneup" which if the firmware wouldn´t be closed could have been done by any dealer with spare parts.

I already said it, but after using my 17" for some months I will get a desktop replacement Notebook with "hairs on the chest" e.g. this one:
ASUS 18,4", 32 GB ram,3,5TB Storage (3 GB HD + 512GBSSD) and best : 2000 € !!!!

18.4" ASUS K95V ~ 512GB SSD + 3000GB ~ 32GB RAM ~ WINDOWS 7 PROF ~ NVIDIA GT 630 | eBay

Sorry Apple, too much is too much !

regards
Stefan

Last edited:

Paul2660

I would much rather have the (2) USB 3 ports. I have the last gen 15" and miss the usb3. Thunderbolt IMO has a long way to go, items that are Thunderbolt enabled cost 3x more for the basic same thing.

That display will look great, may be a bit hard to calibrate. Also I don't like the way they lock you into the 256 flash hard drive unless you pick the 2.6Ghz processor option.

I also call foul on their 7 hour battery, if it's the same design as the one in the current 15". You are lucky to get 3 hours on it.

Paul

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I wonder if it will be enough to power a Phase back?
The H series (released 2003) and the P20 non plus and P25 non plus (released 2004) require a certain amount of firewire power to (consistently) work correctly.

All P1 backs released between 2005 and 2011 allow the user to change [Menu > Configuration > Power Source] to [Battery] in which case the back ignores the firewire power and just draws power from the battery.

The IQ series backs always use the battery to power the back and only use the tethered power to recharge the battery.

For the P20 non plus and P25 non plus there is a dongle Capture Integration sells which tricks/forces the back to use battery power.

So I don't see this being a big issue.

Godfrey

I use a Thunderbolt equipped MacBook Air most of the time, it drives and powers my FW 800 drives through the Thunderbolt display with no problems at all. Far as I'm aware, it's just a pass through port/protocol adaptation.

The new MBP looks great, I'm waiting for a 13" model to come available as I prefer the smaller form factor. Or I'll go for the new MBA 13" with 500G drive and 8G RAM. Plenty of options that suit my needs.

archivue

The H series (released 2003) and the P20 non plus and P25 non plus (released 2004) require a certain amount of firewire power to (consistently) work correctly.

All P1 backs released between 2005 and 2011 allow the user to change [Menu > Configuration > Power Source] to [Battery] in which case the back ignores the firewire power and just draws power from the battery.

The IQ series backs always use the battery to power the back and only use the tethered power to recharge the battery.

For the P20 non plus and P25 non plus there is a dongle Capture Integration sells which tricks/forces the back to use battery power.

but what about my leaf aptus II 7... ;-(

archivue

@ YAYA : Thunderbolt provides 10 watts of power to peripherals... but will the firewire adaptor provide enough power for a leaf back ?

And is the retina screen any good for colorfidelity and calibration ?

I'm having trouble with my 13" intell core 2 Duo... and my Aptus II 7... it looks like it's a connection and power problem... my dealer said he can resolve the trouble with an active FW800 repeater... but this mean that i can't shoot without mains... so i will probably change my macbook, but i'm lost at the moment...

archivue

thanks doug !

2) Use a powered hub (on battery power or from AC)

on battery ? didn't seen any one of these over here !

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I've retracted my post.

History has taught me it's best to wait until it's been tested in real life before I give advice :).

re: powered hub from battery power... you can use a generic [battery>AC power] battery or for instance the old Phase One remote-shooting-solution (hard to find now outside of the larger/better-informed P1 dealers - it was developed for the H series backs in the 90s).

tashley

Subscriber Member
yes and did you see - only ssd´s inside, max 768GB. No more 17 " and the "upgrade" of the MacPro´s is a lukewarm "tuneup" which if the firmware wouldn´t be closed could have been done by any dealer with spare parts.

I already said it, but after using my 17" for some months I will get a desktop replacement Notebook with "hairs on the chest" e.g. this one:
ASUS 18,4", 32 GB ram,3,5TB Storage (3 GB HD + 512GBSSD) and best : 2000 € !!!!

18.4" ASUS K95V ~ 512GB SSD + 3000GB ~ 32GB RAM ~ WINDOWS 7 PROF ~ NVIDIA GT 630 | eBay

Sorry Apple, too much is too much !

regards
Stefan

My God, that thing weighs enough to replace your desk, let alone your desktop!:D

tashley

Subscriber Member
And any news of the USB 3 being enabled on the IQ series? One year on and that pro use has still not been made good...

Stefan Steib

Tim

Actually for being an 18,4 inch display and delivering 2-4x the ram and 4-7x the storage, 2 kg compared to 4,1kg don´t seem so heavy to me.

the only things holding me back right now are
a) waiting to get an Ivy Bridge i7 inside
b) I still don´t know how to adapt firewire to it. It also does not have an express port.
and
c) I hope they may use a bit higher res displays as a result of Apples retinas in some months.

Regards
Stefan

Zerimar

Yes, I am aware of that.

As of now my P45+ back does no receive enough power from my 2010 MBP, or a current iMac to fully power it without a battery (Thus the configuration option to draw off of battery power is enabled on my back)

Phase said this is to do with the current laptops, and iMac's not delivering enough power through the FW800 slow to sufficiently power the back. The IQ backs are nice in the fact that they need a battery, but also charge the battery at the same time.

What I was initially wondering is that through this new thunderbolt port with the fw 800 adaptor, will it have enough power to fully power a P+ back (given its really a thunderbolt connection unlike the old, underpowered fw800 port), similar to how a mac pro will power my back all day without any issues.

Lars

Hmm 2.5x the pixels of a FHD display, That's quite a load on the GPU which equals battery drain. I think that panel could draw quite a bit of battery juice, regardless if NVidia or Intel is doing the rendering. That said, it is an IPS panel, FINALLY, so there is a good probability that it profiles well.

Specs make me wonder what the target market is - surely not primarily imaging professionals.

Also curious about the cooling, a powerful GPU and a quadcore CPU in an even thinner metal case is a tricky concept.

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
I vote for lower pixel density panels in some ways: it's hard to edit at 100% on a 200dpi panel without zooming to 200, at which point you'll see pixels as you edit. Retina is great for display (which is what an iPad is for) and not so good for editing, other than the profiling benefits....

Terry

Hmm 2.5x the pixels of a FHD display, That's quite a load on the GPU which equals battery drain. I think that panel could draw quite a bit of battery juice, regardless if NVidia or Intel is doing the rendering. That said, it is an IPS panel, FINALLY, so there is a good probability that it profiles well.

Specs make me wonder what the target market is - surely not primarily imaging professionals.

Also curious about the cooling, a powerful GPU and a quadcore CPU in an even thinner metal case is a tricky concept.
This is where you need to watch the video...yes, I know "marketing" but the cooling is discussed and you can see just how much inside is battery.

Apple - MacBook Pro Family - It