Site Sponsors

Thread: Think Tank Retrospective 7 Review

Post Thanks / Like

Think Tank Retrospective 7 Review

All,

I just posted a review of the Think Tank Retrospective 7. Good bag!

Think Tank Retrospective 7 Review - YouTube

I will list the review copy for a charity sale here in the FS forum before too long.

Thanks...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Think Tank Retrospective 7 Review

Mike -

video not working on you-tube

Post Thanks / Like

Working for me...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Mike -

video not working on you-tube
    Hi Terry,

It's worked for me so far. Are you trying to watch on an iPad or iPhone, rather than a "real" computer? Sometimes it takes them a while to get the alternate media types generated.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I was on a MacBook Air that I'm holding out to see if I can fully function without flash. So perhaps that was the delay. On my MacBook Pro with flash I'm fine. I know Youtube works without flash but it could be like you said a "versions" issue.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Watched it the & seems pretty large for me to carry. When something gets that big, I'm better off with a backpack style. Usually, I hate sling bags but the latest bag that I've been smitten with and that works well for me is this one by inCase. After watching the video, the insides seem to have about the same amount of room.

Incase | Ari Marcopoulos - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Watched it the & seems pretty large for me to carry. When something gets that big, I'm better off with a backpack style. Usually, I hate sling bags but the latest bag that I've been smitten with and that works well for me is this one by inCase. After watching the video, the insides seem to have about the same amount of room.

Incase | Ari Marcopoulos - YouTube
    Good observations, Terry. It's a good-sized bag, but keep in mind the video camera was set to its widest FoV, so the size relative to me is overstated.

But yes, any bag that is large enough to pile stuff into tends to get heavy if you pack it full. For me, it's usually not too much of an issue (I carry around a lot of weight even without bags ), except with the F2, which I can (and do) make incredibly heavy, and thus impractical to carry for long. The Retro 7 is a pretty good compromise in that case.

Thanks for your thoughts...

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Been using this bag for about a month now with my Nikon gear. I get two lenses stacked on one side one lens 85 on the other and D800 with or without grip in the middle with a lens on it. So 4 lenses in main than I added two small TT modular p&s size pouches on either side for a 50 and batteries and such in the other. Really like this bag, it fits the small if my back nicely
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

That's one thing I like about it a lot -- very comfortable carry. Somewhat better than my Domkes, IMO, due to the softer strap.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm getting one of these!

One thing I noticed is the top doesn't seem to be padded, so when lying down lenses can slide up against the top and bang against stuff. Easily fixed with a little bubble wrap, but it would be nice not to have to think about that.

I have an older (like 20 year old) Domke; while it has a pad in the top cover its main problem is it doesn't hold its shape well when loaded. The whole thing easily turns into a big padded potato sack. Not sure if this is a common problem with Domkes anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post
    I have an older (like 20 year old) Domke; while it has a pad in the top cover its main problem is it doesn't hold its shape well when loaded. The whole thing easily turns into a big padded potato sack. Not sure if this is a common problem with Domkes anymore.

Hehe! It is more of a problem with some Domkes than others .

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice little bag, and just barely large enough for a Nikon DSLR with trinity: 14-24, 24-70, 70-200/2.8 VRII. In the outside pockets it'll fit a Lee filter holder, shade, rings, and a pouch with six filters, a couple of batteries, and a clamshell card case or two.

Use smaller lenses, like the 24-70, a WA prime (ZF.2 18mm in my case), and 85/1.8G, or 24+45+85 PC-E lenses, and it has space for a couple of SB-700s. Without a WA it could hold a couple of SB-910s and pocket wizards, especially with a couple of small primes instead of the 24-70.

Pretty handy. Like Oscar's Day Out (my fav Leica M bag) for a DSLR! And I love the shoulder strap! I want a camera strap with a pad like this!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post
    ... And I love the shoulder strap! I want a camera strap with a pad like this!!!
    Totally agreed. It's about the most comfy bag I've ever slung over my shoulder.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Having used the bag for a couple of weeks now I must say it's excellent.

In fact I like it so much I've also ordered a TT Retrospective 30!