The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nexus 7 First Look

sangio

Hi Uwe,

Thanks for this review. I was looking at a Nexus a few days ago and thought it might be a good replacement for the iPad when traveling.

I'd be very interested in your thoughts about the navigation. Is that app preloaded? I assume the Google maps are preloaded? Does it provide turn-by-turn voice directions? Are all maps types on-board? i.e. road, topo, satellite, etc.

I would happily leave the iPad home if the Nexus had decent navigation, especially off-road wilderness tracking.

Thanks
Santo

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Uwe,

I have been using a BB Playbook as it is 7 inch and has true multitasking...
great speed and system. I hope they survive but will move to the new 7 iPad
if and when it is released...too much software and apps on the iPad....

For me 7 is ideal...like a paperback....

Bob

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Thank you, Uwe, for your Nexus 7 First Look article.
A good read.

I'm contemplating buying the new 32 Gb version, but before I do so, I have a question.
Have you found a way to transfer data to or from a CF card and / or an SD card ?

In other words:

(1) does an SD card reader exist with a micro USB plug for a micro USB socket ?

(2) or is there a micro USB "On-The-Go" OTG cable with:
- a male micro USB plug in the one end
- and a standard USB female plug in the other end
so that I could use my usual SD and CF card reader with such a cable in between the Nexus 7 and my card reader ?

I know that such a cable does exist but I do not know if Nexus 7 can understand and use such a cable connection to a card reader and also to a USB key that could serve as sort of a memory extension.

Last edited: