The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MacBook Pro Retina Display vs Standard Daiplay

sc_john

I am upgrading my 5 year old MBP, and am considering a Retina dislpay model. Can anyone with experience with Retina display comment on the "real world" differences and advantages (or disadvantages)? I am aware of the lack of FW ports, and I am OK with that. Thanks.

John

bradhusick

The new one is wicked fast with all solid state memory and storage, plus the retina screen is incredible for photographs.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just for balance i went with the standard screen. One reason i am connected to a 30 inch monitor most of the time anyway so it would be somewhat a waste the other reason is i can change my drives out and add a drive in the optical bay. So main drive is a OWC 6G 240gb SSD which does read/write over 500mg. Also i put a 1 tb drive in the optical bay which gives me a OS backup and also storage. Depends on your needs really.

sc_john

Thanks for all of your comments... much to think about. One more question: Can Retina display be calibrated like a regular MBP display? Thanks.

John

cjlacz

How do you find the color gamut..etc of the Retina display compared to other displays? Specifically the iMac/other Apple displays?