The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which DSLR?

kevin

I've been without a DSLR for awhile and I'm going to pick up a used one. I've narrowed it down to either a Canon 5D, or a Fuji S5. Very different cameras, I know, but they each have their appeal: The Canon for it's full frame and lovely high iso files; the Fuji for its dynamic range and very film-like JPEGs.

I don't need an ultra-high speed camera, so would the slowness of the Fuji really be an issue in use? Would the full-frame, 12mp images of the Canon trump the 6mp of the Fuji, or would the better DR of the Fuji make up for it?

Any feedback is welcome, particularly if you've shot with BOTH cameras! :D

Dale Allyn

Hi Kevin. Have you thought about what you want to do with the images from your DSLR? Do you like to print your images? How large? Have you considered the lenses that might be of interest to you?

I've not shot the Fuji, but have seen some nice images on-line (though hesitate to judge cameras from on-line image files) and would expect that they would print nicely. However, if one wishes to print large it would be my preference to start with a higher resolution file so that less interpolation is required.

I have a 5D and have been very happy with it for my purposes. Most images from it print to 16x24" without difficulty, some can go larger. Native size of the files is around 12x18 inches @240ppi. The look is different than the Fuji look, but quite nice in it's own right IMO. I've enjoyed the results from higher ISO shooting with it as well. Newer cameras have an advantage at higher ISOs now, but I have achieved very usable results at ISO 1600 with the 5D and have enjoyed some ISO 3200 stuff as well, but noise does certainly start to show at these highest settings. That doesn't always detract from an image though.

I think you might get some more specific input if you would describe what you would like to get from the cameras. :)

kevin

Hi Dale, yeah, I guess I should have mentioned that I mainly shoot people, so the Fuji's rep for having good skin tones has some appeal. I've certainly seen good results from the Canon, too, so I wonder if the DR and skin tones of the Fuji are really an advantage in "real world" shooting.

Dale Allyn

Someone else will likely posts with some meaningful comparisons from experience with both, but you may also like to look at Flickr and search on the two camera types to see many samples of all kinds of shooting styles. You could check Groups for specific pools. There is a 5D group, and I would guess that there's a Fuji S5 group as well.

I don't shoot a lot of people stuff, but post even less. I have some in my flickr stream and a few on my site, but you'll likely find better examples from those who concentrate on the subject. Always click the "All Sizes" link above most images there so that you can see the original upload. Flickr resizes and sharpens, etc. the files that are displayed in streams and pools.

Cheers.

K

karrphoto

I have a 5D and my good friend has an S5. I don't think, even with the extended DR of the S5 I could deal with a 6MP image. I find myself cropping a lot, especially when I did weddings, and well, that just kills you on a 6MP image. I love the 5D and plan on buying the MkII sometime when available and also hope they extended the DR of the camera over the past 2 years since the release of the MkI.

I would love to see Canon, hell, anyone else, actually do something like fuji and have a mode where 1/2 the pixels are low sensitive and 1/2 are high. On a 22MP camera like the 5DMkII that would still give me an impressive 11MP image to work with, and extended DR would rock.

helenhill

Ohhhh I'm sorry you got bit by the DSLR bug :scry:
but if I had to have one of those two
even though the Canon is probably King
I'd probably pick the FUJI for People shooting
renders Lovely Skin Tones
\Cheers ! H

kevin

Ohhhh I'm sorry you got bit by the DSLR bug
Well, it's not a "bug" so much as a necessity. Like a minivan. You don't get excited about driving it, but it's just so handy and versatile. :ROTFL:

I've been using an R-D1 for my main digital body and considered upgrading to an M8, but the M8 is just too limited. I'll stick with a film M for my rangefinder fun, I think.

I have looked at flickr and the Fuji images I've seen look lovely. But the 5D is no slouch, either. I want full frame, and I already own Canon gear, but the Fuji sure is tempting.

Lisa

I'm surprised noone yet has mentioned...lenses! I'm sure both can produce great photos, but you should figure out which body has compatible lenses that best do what you want. Different manufacturers have different strengths when it comes to lenses (wide vs. tele, prime vs. zoom, etc.). You should look into what lenses you want, and see who does them best.

Lisa

kevin

That's a good point, Lisa, and I have thought of that. I prefer shooting with primes, and I think Canon has Nikon beat on that count. Nikon has nothing to match the 24/1.4L or the 35/1.4L, do they? And the new 50/1.2L seems in a league of it's own.

The flip side for me is that the S5 skin tones look better out of the camera, and it seems to have a more film-like highlight shoulder. Guess I'll have to do a bit of research on Nikon primes... :D

Dale Allyn

I'm surprised noone yet has mentioned...lenses!
A-hem... in post #2 I mentioned lenses in the first paragraph. :grin:

Heehee. Just wanted get that in. :cool: :D

I agree with all that the Fuji does render nice skin tones, but if I were choosing (and I did) I would go with the 5D of these two.

The Canon 35 f/1.4 is a very nice lens, the 24 f/1/4 is okay, Nikon (since you mention Nikon) does have the very nice 14-24 zoom which trumps Canon's offering for absolute sharpness (the 16-35). None of these are really "people lenses" though, although the 35 L does do nicely if the focal length is suitable for your shot. The Canon 85L and 135L are fine lenses for portraits and the like.

Last edited:
K

karrphoto

One thing to consider is what kind of lenses you will use. Canon has a larger mount than Nikon allowing for a lens like the stellar 85/1.2, which is just not possible with the mount size Nikon has. The best you can do with Nikon would be an 85/1.4 because of the size difference.

kevin

Well, I'm sticking with Canon because of the lenses. :) That, and I found a great deal on a used 5D. Nikon makes some great zooms, but I'm a prime lens shooter and I think I might be trading my vintage 50/1.2 LTM for a 50/1.2 EF. :D