The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

w2 experiences with broken iPhones 1 with an iMac

jonoslack

HI there
Just thought I would share these experiences, as, from my point of view they are extremely relevant to decisions I might make in the future.

One phone was bought online, the other from the Apple store.

1st Story with iPhone 4s
Saul dropped his iPhone 4s and the screen cracked just before Christmas.
We dropped by at the Apple store, They were extremely pleasant and gave him what (to all intents and purposes) seems to be a new phone for £138.00. It was long out of warranty and had no backup. I was Impressed

Second story with iPhone 5
Then, Oh No :wtf::chug::facesmack: my 32 Gb iphone 5 slipped into the toilet - fortunately unused (the toilet) It was hoicked out quickly and dried off, but it died tortuously and slowly, the buttons wouldn't work, so I couldn't turn it off - the touch screen didn't work, and as the screen faded slowly Siri could be heard: "I am not connected to the internet" (all rather reminiscent of 2001 A space odyssey) - then it got very hot and very dead.
Back to the Apple store to buy a new phone :cry: (I naturally assumed that was that). The guy in the store told me that they would replace it for the maximum repair charge (£150) I was amazed and very pleased . . . . . then, when trying to take the payment he said "Oh - you're lucky, it's come up as a warranty repair - no charge"

Third Story with 2 year old iMac
There was a recall on the 1Tb hard drive on this machine - it was working fine for me, but hey - if they're going to replace it. Anyway, I took it in to the store. He turned it on to wipe the old drive and do the standard tests and said - "Ah - blotchy screen" . . . I'll just check - two minutes later he's back "This is a known issue - we'll replace the screen free of charge"

I mention these things, because, when I'm occasionally tempted to check out a Galaxy or a Windows machine I will remember them! Perhaps others should as well.

Sure - I know - they make enough profit to be able to do this, but it doesn't alter the fact that they DO do this!

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Braeside

Good to hear of those experiences Jono. I think part of it is that you must have charmed the Apple Store staff. Being pleasant to them always helps.

jonoslack

Good to hear of those experiences Jono. I think part of it is that you must have charmed the Apple Store staff. Being pleasant to them always helps.
Yes indeed, and telling them the truth helps as well! Trying to transfer the blame to them does not help!

Amin

I recently had a similar experience with a Samsung Galaxy Nexus - was overheating and killing the battery fast. I called Samsung and explained that I had bought it off Craigslist so no papers or invoice. They picked up right away, on a Sunday evening no less, looked up my phone's IMEI #, and said it was under warranty - no matter that I wasn't the original owner. They then paid for round trip shipping and had the phone like new back in my hands inside of a week.

I've had good experiences with Apple too, but next time you're looking at a Samsung, remember they aren't half bad on the service side!

Here's a shot my brother took last week of me holding my Samsung Galaxy Note II and his iPhone 5:

Me, my Samsung, and my brother's Apple. by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

My point of showing you that picture is that the iPhone is the perfect size and shape to fall out of a dress shirt pocket and into the toilet, whereas the Samsung is a bit more secure in any pocket :D.

Godfrey

Keep a phone in your pants pocket when in the 'loo. Better... Don't bring it in there. :)

- My partner bought an unlocked iPhone 4S 64g used from a seller on EBay. The speaker seemed damaged. Apple replaced it with a new one under warranty, no issue, FoC.

- My 4S started consuming battery outrageously quickly and ran hot too. Another new replacement, no questions asked, problem solved.

Apple customer support has been good.

monza

Apple routinely wins the customer service awards. It has a lot to do with the fact my daughter works in customer relations. :)