Site Sponsors

Thread: data back-up

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

data back-up

my drobo is getting long in the tooth and i am looking for the latest advice, two things:

on-site raid array, 1TB's is plenty
    off-site data storage providers maybe 1 Tb max

tnx
    Last edited by jlm; 20th January 2013 at 07:38.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: data back-up

I was going to recommend the G-Tech G-Safe raid, but I see they've discontinued it. They have other raid solutions, but they sound like overkill for what you want.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm running a Western Digital dual 2TB drive operating RAID 0 (fully mirrored). Works fine.

- Leigh

Post Thanks / Like

I like to keep things simple.

I would look at solutions offered by Wiebetech; I like their two bay, hot swappable, trayless Raid options. I ended up picking up a Sans Digital Mobile Raid MR2UT+(B), which has both eSata and USB3 interfaces. I call this my "bottomless pit" as when the drives fill up, I simple pull them, store them in cases, and insert new hard drives.

ken

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use a Lacie 4 Big Quadra with three drives, one drive being kept off site, the other two being in a RAID array. I bring the off-site drive back once a month to swap and be rebuilt. I have a 3TB unit for me and a 1TB unit for my wife.

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

After months struggling with a Synology NAS (the NAS worked fine, but time machine backups to it kept getting corrupted and the system wanted to rebuild them, I lost confidence in the process. And Ethernet is slow.), I now keep one of two 3TB backup disk inside the Mac Pro and rotate them out. With the drive mounted on a slide tray, it takes very little time to swap internal drives. Oh, yes, I have only 900GB of stuff to back up. Proof that I don't take enough pictures

If the Mac Pro ever comes out with Thunderbolt, I'll get a fast external RAID, but keeping a bunch of laptops and the Mac Pro backed up is currently a pain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use a PegasusR6 system - 6 X 2 TB in Raid 5. simple relatively cheap and with thunderbolt expandable. Lighting fast - I use the system as a working drive even though I have a 750GB SSD card in my powerbook. I back this up to another Pegasus . These boxes are cheap and perfect for a plug and play guy who isn't a puter nerd.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd highly recommend you do some reading on StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews

You'll find reviews and forum discussions from IT and IS professionals.