Site Sponsors

Thread: Need a faster card reader

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Need a faster card reader

I currently have a SanDisk USB 2.0 CF/SD/SDHC card reader attached to my Mac Pro. I seem to be having speed issues with the reader. Could this be caused by being attached to a USB hub or should I connect it directly to my Mac? Is there a faster one out there? My cards are a mix of SanDisk Extreme III's, a Lexar 133x Wa, and a SanDisk Ultra II.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Need a faster card reader

I have used a bunch of different readers, and my current one connected to my MacPro is a Lexar pop-up that has UDMA SD/SDHC and CF slots and is USB2: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Slot_USB.html

It is connected to a USB2 hub and at the end of the day was just as fast as this Lexar FW800 CF only reader: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...eWire_800.html

I also have a mini non-pop-up Sandisk SD/SDHC CF combo reader for my laptop that is just as fast as the pop-up Lexar. Looks like this one only SD and CF slots: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...I_USB_2_0.html

Oh, and my USB2 hub on my MacPro is a combo 7-port USB2 hub and 23 in 1 card reader. It is a tad slower than the units above for my Extreme III cards, but not much. The best any of them do is about 2 gigs a minute, or 30GB/sec -- which I think is as fast as the Extreme III's will run anyway... I understand the Extreme IV's are faster.

Your hub could be the problem if it is a USB1 hub -- but regardless, this should be *really* easy to confirm, no? I mean time a transfer of the same amount of data via each connection and compare the result ---- presto

Finally, one thing that can really slow down transfers is if your target drive is an external connected to your system through the same USB hub as the reader -- they have to compete for bandwidth on the hub. Here it is always going to be fastest if your target drive is connected to the motherboard or a totally different path like a firewire port.

Cheers,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have both of the USB card readers you mentioned. I had the lexar popup one for my laptop, but I may switch them around and see what happens.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

Jack's spot on with what he's saying, in addition I'd add that USB is designed to tax the CPU; so if you are doing something that CPU-intensive you'll find that everything on USB will slow down.
    -- M.