Site Sponsors

Thread: Tripod for Photo and Video? hybrid solution? Which one?

Post Thanks / Like

Tripod for Photo and Video? hybrid solution? Which one?

Hi!

I am looking for a solution for a tripod system which I can use for photography AND videography for HDSLRs... I would like to shoot photography and videography with Canon 5D Mark ii. I don't want to buy 2 tripods....

What should I buy? Do you recommend a hybrid solution? If yes, which one?

Manfrotto makes the Mh005 Q5 (Manfrotto MH055M8-Q5) head. Can you recommend it?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Tripod for Photo and Video? hybrid solution? Which one?

I love this tripod - it's big and sturdy enough for video and photo work. Well made and much cheaper than the carbon fiber big boys.

Amazon.com: Induro Alloy 8M Tripod AT-413 (Black): Camera & Photo

As for a head, that's a tougher call. You probably want one that has a handle that twists to release friction.
    Brad Husick

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, the best video and photography (and what I own) tripods are the Gitzo Systematics.

I shoot MFD, tech camera, 35mm DSLR and 5DMk2 video and they are great. Being able to change the centre for different accessories is the key to their flexibility for me. I use a levelling base or a 75mm (100mm also available) half bowl for video heads and a lateral arm, centre column and straight to the legs for photography. To round them off you can add a dolly or ground brace and you'll be sorted.

In photography circles they are very expensive but compared to dedicated video legs they are dirt cheap so depends on where you're looking.

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

And the answer is how will you mount the video component....

Fluid head on a Gitzo with a 75 or 100mm half bowl is mandatory...and Manfroto does not have one that allows panning without stutter....

Sachtler OConner or Miller make great heads and legs....

Vincent Laforet does an amazing job with HDSLR video...here are his thoughts on stabilization:

My Gear: Support & Stabilization Vincent Laforet's Blog

Bob