The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thermaltake HD eSata dock---hot swappable!

kdphotography

I just thought I'd share one of my latest "toy" acquisitiions----The Thermaltake BlacX eSATA and USB external HD docking station. Very nice for only $45 at TigerDirect. See, http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3829117&CatId=2785

It's not a replacement for a good RAID or back-up, but it does open up a great many options! Apparently, can work with the new 1.5 TB drives. I'm using Hitachi 1TB drives now. eSata card was easy to install---I bought a Vantec card---and supports hot swapping 2.5" and 3.5" HDs. PCI Express card supports 3.0Gbps. PCI slot cards support "only" 1.5 Gbps----both much faster than either USB or FW. I just got tired of having all these adapters and external HDs around. Now I can just store/back-up files to a labeled HD, place in a case, and store on the shelf or fireproof safe. HDs are hot-swappable----just slide it into the dock.

These are the cases I found (like old VHS plastic cases, but made for 3.5" HDs. See, http://www.wiebetech.com/products/cases.php

Inexpensive. Faster than USB or FW. Easy to use. And it works!

kdphotography

The eSATA port isn't hot swappable to my connector and requires a reboot, QUOTE]

My understanding is that some eSATA cards might not support hot swapping----so it may be just as easy to simply install a card that does support hot-swapping without re-booting...

I spent about $29 on the Vantec eSATA card....

This has probably been the least expensive toy purchase this year----but much bang-for-the-buck!!

:)

Terry

I have the USB2/FW400/800 eSATA version and love it! http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/FWU2ESHDK/

The eSATA port isn't hot swappable to my connector and requires a reboot, but the FW800 is pretty darn spiffy anyway and it is hot swappable.

Great find on the drive storage boxes, thanks!
Way OT but I LOVE :clap: the new Avatar (I know the old one was great too but always good to make some changes every now and again).

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Terry! My wife took that shot of me last night and my son thought it would make an awesome avatar :)

MrSlezak

As far as I recall, the SATA specification is not very clear on hot swapping - although the last time I read it was before they revised it to add power over the bus. Can't speak for the Mac, but at least with Windows I treat eSATA as if it is an internal drive; Windows doesn't have any way to know if the drive is attached internal (SATA) or external (eSATA).

I'm pretty sure the unit Jack has contains a Symwave host controller for 1394a/b and if Symwave would release their s1600 silicon it'd be way cool. Symwave have demonstrated S1600 silicon in the past, but I don’t' think anyone is using it yet (unclear if they haven't released it, or the market isn't interested w/USB 3.0 18 months away).

Last edited: