Site Sponsors

Thread: Thermaltake HD eSata dock---hot swappable!

Post Thanks / Like

Thermaltake HD eSata dock---hot swappable!

I just thought I'd share one of my latest "toy" acquisitiions----The Thermaltake BlacX eSATA and USB external HD docking station. Very nice for only $45 at TigerDirect. See, http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...117&CatId=2785

It's not a replacement for a good RAID or back-up, but it does open up a great many options! Apparently, can work with the new 1.5 TB drives. I'm using Hitachi 1TB drives now. eSata card was easy to install---I bought a Vantec card---and supports hot swapping 2.5" and 3.5" HDs. PCI Express card supports 3.0Gbps. PCI slot cards support "only" 1.5 Gbps----both much faster than either USB or FW. I just got tired of having all these adapters and external HDs around. Now I can just store/back-up files to a labeled HD, place in a case, and store on the shelf or fireproof safe. HDs are hot-swappable----just slide it into the dock.

These are the cases I found (like old VHS plastic cases, but made for 3.5" HDs. See, http://www.wiebetech.com/products/cases.php

Inexpensive. Faster than USB or FW. Easy to use. And it works!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Thermaltake HD eSata dock---hot swappable!

I have the USB2/FW400/800 eSATA version and love it! http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer...ogy/FWU2ESHDK/

The eSATA port isn't hot swappable to my connector and requires a reboot, but the FW800 is pretty darn spiffy anyway and it is hot swappable.

Great find on the drive storage boxes, thanks!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Jack Flesher;64713]
    The eSATA port isn't hot swappable to my connector and requires a reboot, QUOTE]

My understanding is that some eSATA cards might not support hot swapping----so it may be just as easy to simply install a card that does support hot-swapping without re-booting...

I spent about $29 on the Vantec eSATA card....

This has probably been the least expensive toy purchase this year----but much bang-for-the-buck!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    I have the USB2/FW400/800 eSATA version and love it! http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer...ogy/FWU2ESHDK/

The eSATA port isn't hot swappable to my connector and requires a reboot, but the FW800 is pretty darn spiffy anyway and it is hot swappable.

Great find on the drive storage boxes, thanks!
    Way OT but I LOVE the new Avatar (I know the old one was great too but always good to make some changes every now and again).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Terry! My wife took that shot of me last night and my son thought it would make an awesome avatar
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I recall, the SATA specification is not very clear on hot swapping - although the last time I read it was before they revised it to add power over the bus. Can't speak for the Mac, but at least with Windows I treat eSATA as if it is an internal drive; Windows doesn't have any way to know if the drive is attached internal (SATA) or external (eSATA).

I'm pretty sure the unit Jack has contains a Symwave host controller for 1394a/b and if Symwave would release their s1600 silicon it'd be way cool. Symwave have demonstrated S1600 silicon in the past, but I don’t' think anyone is using it yet (unclear if they haven't released it, or the market isn't interested w/USB 3.0 18 months away).
    Last edited by MrSlezak; 21st December 2008 at 11:12. Reason: fixed a type-o
    -- M.