The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Acratech and Gura Gear arrivals!

M

mjr

Evening!

Feels like Christmas has arrived early, got my hands on a nice new ballhead and backpack as a treat to myself.

The Acratech is the GP Ballhead, seems like a nicely constructed thing, it has handled the badlands of my lounge with aplomb! It's really torrential out so field testing will have to wait until tomorrow.

The only negative at the moment is dropping the D800 in to portrait and there's very little clearance to the top of the tripod, I now need to look at either a spacer of some sort or a levelling head to raise it up a bit, I could of course go for an L bracket but I'm not a big fan so will only go that route if I really have to. Here's a quick shot.

Also picked up a Gura Gear Bataflae 26l and it looks a really nice bag, a fun evening of arranging lenses ahead!

Mat

NotXorc

I really have enjoyed my GP ballhead. I have used mine with an F100 and smaller cameras. I like the lever-lock for its security and peace of mind. Even though there is a gap to allow portrait orientation, it's much easier with an L-bracket, IMO.

M

mjr

I'm glad you're enjoying it, I'm not 100% convinced, I was hoping it would be my last ballhead, maybe not.

My problem is that with the D800 I am restricted to moving the camera to the left when I want to go in to portrait mode, which puts the locking nobs on the right, I then have to take my hand away from the shutter button to lock it off! That's a no go for me, just doesn't feel natural, I want my hand on the grip and finger over the button at all times.

I wrote to Acratech for a solution and they offer a spacer to fit between the head and tripod which I bought, it's beautifully made, matches the head and arrived very quickly and was cheap! It almost works but just not quite high enough to allow me to drop the camera to the right and have my left hand on the knobs (so to speak!) I can offset the camera in the quick release coupling slightly and then it clears but it's not an elegant solution. I fear I may have to get an L bracket which I didn't want to do.

As far as the Bataflae 26l goes, superb!

Mat