The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is Jack at the Apple Store Yet?

stephengilbert

They've unveiled a 17 inch MBP with up to 8GB ram and an optional 256GB solid state drive. Of course, it'll cost $5000.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Not me! I am a very happy camper with my 1 year old MacBook Pro. OTOH, Guy may be on his way over :ROTFL:

Terry

They've unveiled a 17 inch MBP with up to 8GB ram and an optional 256GB solid state drive. Of course, it'll cost $5000.
Just for the heck of it I went to the online store and priced it with
a) fastest processor
b) 256gb SSD
c) 8 GB memory - the extra 4gb was $1200 :eek:
d) anti glare screen

It was above $5000 at $5295 (before Apple Care :grin:)

etrigan63

Always get your RAM from OtherWorld Computing. Their prices are amazing too in a good way. I just 8GB of RAM for my Mac Pro (bringing it up to 12GB) for $185 total.

BTW, that is roughly the price for a similarly configured Thinkpad W700 (geared for photographers) and they don't offer the SSD.

Terry

Always get your RAM from OtherWorld Computing. Their prices are amazing too in a good way. I just 8GB of RAM for my Mac Pro (bringing it up to 12GB) for $185 total.

BTW, that is roughly the price for a similarly configured Thinkpad W700 (geared for photographers) and they don't offer the SSD.
The only thing that isn't clear, and why I priced it, was whether or not these sticks are a new item that isn't yet on OWC. Actually, over the last year Apple had really cut the pricing of their RAM pretty substantially to where it wasn't that much more expensive and it saved me from having to open up and muck around in my brand new macbook pro. To the extent that these are so much more expensive I would venture the guess that they are indeed new.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Even without the sticks of ram I came up with like 3400 for a pretty good setup. I will wait for the next version on the 15 inch.

waynelake

...and its in a New Zealand newspaper. From NZ$5100, which is cheaper here than MacBook Pro 17", 2 years ago... 8 hour battery life/charge. I'm getting 2.5 now on standard battery. That 8 hours is a big bonus...