The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New desktop choices

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
I am replacing my 1st generation iMac and am not sure if I need all the power that is in the Mac Pro (not to mention the cost), so I am considering the new iMac 27 with the 4GB NVIDIA graphics board.

My laptop is the MacBookPro 15 and is fast enough for when I am traveling, but I prefer to have something with a little more punch when working from home.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hi Bryan,

I have a Mac Pro 2009 as a desktop, and although it is bulletproof, I don't find it much faster at image processing than my 2012 Macbook Air. Now that my daughter is inheriting the Air, I've got a Macbook Pro (the just released model), and it is very capable with IQ140 and IQ160 files - faster than the desktop.

I don't have direct experience with the current high end iMacs, but given the speed of the new laptops, I'd say you would be well served with one. I think the upcoming Mac Pro is a video machine, and may not be faster than the top iMacs for photo work, but I'm just guessing. (It depends on how well the video cards are used by Capture One and Photoshop, and the people who know now aren't saying).

Best,

Matt

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Bryan I maybe selling my 15 inch MBP built for speed. It will handle your 180 files no problem. Call me later

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
I currently have a 15" MacBook Pro with 16GB of RAM, and an OWC 480 GB SSD which goes with me when I am on the road.

I was looking to replace the unit I use at home as my kids have pretty much taken it over so it is cluttered with their stuff. I am going to just let them have this, and most likely will end up going with the new 27" iMac maxed out, and then some time in the future, upgrade my current laptop to the new retina version.

I am also considering just going to the new 15" retina then just hooking up a larger monitor to work from home.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
That is what I do . Hook up a 27 inch NEC wide gamut.

Here is what I have

2012 MBP 15 inch AG 2.7 Quad I7 16gb ram. Samsung 840 Pro, 512gb Main OS. Samsung 840 500gb in Optical

Anyone interested contact me. I maybe going for a loaded Retina