The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Portable Backup Storage

jpaulmoore

Hello all,
I am looking for a portable backup storage device with a high quality viewer. I have an Epson P-6000 but I am not sure it supports the newer cameras. I now lots of folks are just using a laptop (I may go that way) but is there something else I should consider?
Thanks.
Paul

bradhusick

This category of device has disappeared since tablets hit the market. I would suggest a retina display iPad plus an iPad card reader and a wifi hard drive for iOS such as the Seagate Wireless Plus 1 TB Mobile Device Storage with Built-In Wi-Fi Streaming (STCK1000100) available on Amazon.

The other option is a MacBook Air with an external HD such as the LaCie Rugged 1 TB USB 3.0 Mini Disk Portable Hard Drive 301558, also on Amazon.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I use an MBA plus a Buffalo 1TB rugged (available as 2TB as well). Great, compact combo with Photoshop available always. Since the MBA 13 doesn't feature an SD card slot, I use the larger MBA 15.

jpaulmoore

Jorgen,
Thanks for this tip. I am assuming MBA is Macbook Air? You say that the 13" doesn't have a SD card slot so you use the 15" model? I just took a look at the Apple store and I don't see a 15" model. I just want to be clear on what you are using.
Best,
J. Paul

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The 13" MBA certainly does have a card slot. It's the Macbook Pro that comes in 13" and 15" versions. I have the 15", and it also has a card slot. Not sure about the 13", but the Apple website will have that info.

--Matt

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen,
Thanks for this tip. I am assuming MBA is Macbook Air? You say that the 13" doesn't have a SD card slot so you use the 15" model? I just took a look at the Apple store and I don't see a 15" model. I just want to be clear on what you are using.
Best,
J. Paul
Sorry, I meant 11 and 13" :facesmack:

While the missing SD-slot on the 11" was one of the reasons for choosing the 13", my experience now is that the 13" works better for me also because of the larger monitor. It gets very crowded on an 11" screen with Photoshop.