The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone tried the new Mac Pro?

GMB

I am tempted but wonder how much fast it is than the latest 15" MBP with 16 GB RAM and what the best configuration would be for photo work (including MFD).

RVB

Take a look at this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqgKBnPViS0 the new machine is very fast,I think we will see even better performance as apps rare optimised for the new new cards,FCP X is a portend for what to expect.. here is the results of a Barefeats comparison with the previous 6 core..

Worth noting that the MBP will not come close to the mac pro when driving a 30" monitor..

Rob

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I had one in my shopping cart the day they were announced, but at checkout it appeared the configuration I wanted -- Hex-core 3.5, 64GB RAM and 1TB flash drive -- was already then slated for a February delivery. So I decided to wait until they were in the main pipeline.

In the meantime, I needed a new laptop, so bought a 15" MBP Retina. I am currently using it as my main processing machine, added a 4 bay Pegasus TB2 RAID enclosure, and 3 2-bay USB3 raid enclosures for redundant back-up purposes. Also bought and connected it all to a new Eizo 27" monitor. I am very pleased with the MBP as a main editing machine; it's working so well I may not bother with a full on Mac Pro.

Caveat: Bob has a the same MP on order as I was speccing, so will hold off my final decision until hearing his real-world performance reports. (He also has the same MBP, main RAID box and monitor as I do, so he'll be a good 'guinea-pig' for me.)

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Got to play with one at the Apple Dealers today....

Unbelievable how small and quiet it is...no real software to test speed but what a sweet profile.

I recently decided to wait due to February shipping and added a 750 GB SSD to replace my 256 GB SSD system drive and a 480 GB Accelsior PCie Drive for LR and PS Scratch drive....

:looking at the Bare Feet benchmarks allows me to coast a bit on the upgrade.

The LR and PS processing is near realtime at the present....only will upgrade when I have 4K video needs I think.

But...the new MP is so small and seductive...may have to go for it at some point.

Bob

GMB

Interesting article in the Wall Street Journal on the new Power Mac.

Bottom line of the article is that the new Power Mac is mainly for video editing. I was particular surprised by the comment that LR and Photoshop don't take advantage of the new Power Mac and work better on the latest iMac. I am not an expert in computer technology and cannot say whether the statements in the article make sense. One thing I noted that's not discussed is that most serious/professional photographers would want a display that can be hardware calibrated and for that reason not go for the iMac. But then there is the MBP.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I assume that Lloyd Chambers has a pretty good idea of the ability of the new PM and he has always stated that .... multicore is underused for photography and that the major video cards do not accelerate PS LR or C1.

This may change in the future...

Still the ability to do 4K and clearly an attempt to optimize memory and bandwidth cannot be a bad thing....

I have an eyeOne Pro for calibration...very fast cards for memory but a fairly mundane dual Quad core PM Tower...a six core PM with dual 500 video cards may not be a huge improvement but the thing is one tenth (my estimate) the floor space of my current space heater.

I caved for the Adobe CC after a time...assume this will be a similar outcome. An iMac or boosted PB is not in my future...would rather carry a Retina mini.

Bob

bradhusick

The longer I stared at the new Mac Pro the more this seemed like the thing that must be done. Use a little Sugru to attach each piece and voila! Mr. Mac Head.

Last edited: