The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Promise Pegasus R6: a cautionary tale

RVB

Regarding speed,I ran AJA system tester on my nMP with the Pegasus R6 (not the R2,tb1) and these are the speeds, write 762 and read 858...

tashley

Subscriber Member
Interesting> I thought i smelled a mild rat when the chap I was talking to at Span told me that the fastest a 6 sick road 5 array could do with hard drives was only about 120...

Lord is it ever hard to get sense out of the world sometimes!

So what I want is Pegasus speed but with someone else building it!

jonoslack

Throwing this at the wall...may not stick...al dente thing

Ansel Adams was quoted at one point ... to the effect that if he had a dozen good picture per year he was pleased.

We tend to archive a bunch of stuff that down the road we probably would not want to claim ownership....

Personally I feel that maybe 10% would meet our most grand expectations of our vision or our art...why drag it down with the rest....
Hi Bob
I'm completely with you here - I'm trying to get really ruthless with my images - not just because I don't need cr@p images, but also because it's so very hard to find the good stuff amongst all the dross!

RVB

Interesting> I thought i smelled a mild rat when the chap I was talking to at Span told me that the fastest a 6 sick road 5 array could do with hard drives was only about 120...

Lord is it ever hard to get sense out of the world sometimes!

So what I want is Pegasus speed but with someone else building it!

120.. Wow,thats nuts..the guy is in the wrong job..the eS Pro enclosures with Atto card will do the job and be reliable,and will connect to Tb using the Helios,there is also this G-DOCK ev

The OWC thunder bay enclosure uses only 4 bays and still returns these figures RAID 0: 720 / 753 write/read MB/sec
RAID 5: 534 / 563 write/read MB/sec
RAID 1+0: 364 / 375 write/read MB/sec

Lloyd Chambers recommend's it but I'm not sure if it's available in the UK. test is here MPG blog - Reviewed: OWC Thunderbay 4-bay Thunderbolt Enclosure

Regarding the Areca,even with only six bays used in raid 5 it is still very fast at read 597 and write of 640,, you can read the review here.. Final Cut Pro Training | Product Review: Areca 8050 Thunderbolt RAID | Final Cut Pro Training & Classes

Rob

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks again Rob... I have been using that AJA utility to test some files on the MacPro SSD, the Pegasus and a smaller one-drive Lacie 3Tb thunderbolt. The Pegasus is faster than anything else, astonishingly so - it's just a pity it isn't reliable.

I am thinking that for now I'm going to KISS and get an 8Tb G Raid with thunderbolt and see how it does: it should be capable of over around 300 read in RAID 0 and I can use my older non-Thunderbolt 4TB G-Drive as Time Machine, then migrate the G-Raid to backup later when the market has matured a bit and maybe SSD prices have come down enough for me to make an 8TB raid 0 out of SSDs...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here's one thing I don't understand:
If you are not dependent on your drives every second of the day, why run RAID at all. Since the beginning of time (Time, in my case, started in 2005), I've had the following setup:

One 4 bay Probox with primary drives, at the moment 3 x 2TB for photo and 1 x 1TB for other data, and one identical box with identical drives as secondary (backup) drives. Backup runs automatically (CCC) once per day as long as the computer is powered on. If it's not, it will start when I switch on the power.

Once per week, I run backup to a portable (soon to be changed to 2 x 5TB) box, which starts automatically when connected to the computer. I have two of those which circulate every week to another location where they are connected to a third Probox, identical to the 2 first ones. The download to the third box also starts automatically when the portable box is connected. I have an old Mac Mini there that takes care of this.

When I started this routine, I chose it because it was cheap and because it seemed reliable. It's still cheap and it has proven to be 100% reliable. I've never lost one bit of data, and there are 5 copies of all the data that I own. The portable boxes are small enough to go with me wherever I go, which means that I'm safe even in case of war, earthquake, revolution or marriage. Highly recommended!

tashley

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, RAID is a lot faster - that's why. My Macbook Pro was running Lightroom a lot faster than my late 13 Mac Pro, because the catalog files are on the SSD whereas my main LR catalog is huge and has to be external.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, RAID is a lot faster - that's why. My Macbook Pro was running Lightroom a lot faster than my late 13 Mac Pro, because the catalog files are on the SSD whereas my main LR catalog is huge and has to be external.
How much faster? Compared to the time you and others spend dealing with RAID problems, I believe that speed gain must even out over time ;)

tashley

Subscriber Member
How much faster? Compared to the time you and others spend dealing with RAID problems, I believe that speed gain must even out over time ;)
So true - however, there are millions of stable RAIDS operating and, having seen what a really fast one can do when it works (utterly blistering) I am quite keen to pursue the matter... as for "how much faster" well, my external Thunderbolt 1 single disk drive gets around 100mb/s on average over read and write whereas the pegasus, when it worked, could get over ten times that speed and that really does make a difference...

Don Libby

Just jumping in to say some good things about G-Tech. I've had 2-boxes for a couple years now with no problems. My main box is the 16TB (4-drives) that stay fulltime in the studio and a 2-drive 2TB that I use for the road and business file backups in the studio. I'm on a PC so can't speak to any Apple issues however these 2 boxes have been work great since the day I got them.

Don

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Again G-Tech is Hitachi...the big RAIDS can be spec'd with Ultrastar rather than Deskstar drives...these are rated for 24/7/365 use and are worth the upgrade.

Bob

tashley

Subscriber Member
The trouble is, at least from the Apple store, you can't spec any other drives for the Pegasus and regardless of whether or not there are any real differences between enterprise quality and consumer quality drives, I have heard (unconfirmed) that the Pegasus drives are consumer grade.

It really is a shame. Damn that thing was fast. It got essentially the same speeds as my internal SSD drive, and that was in RAID 5. In RAID 0 it must be scary!

rupho

I have really good experiences with Promise. I bought a 6 disk TB1 box and recently upgraded storage from 2TB to 4 TB drives giving me a total of 24 I configured it in RAID6 though. I always keep an extra spare in case on goes offline so I can swap it which happened twice in 2 years