The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

If the Macbook Pro 17" Goes to LED...

Maggie O

Sean -- go for the 17" definitely! since you have the case and all, your eyes will thank you. six weeks is an awful long time working on a 15" monitor... (the 17" wasn't nearly as bad to lug around as i expected and i've got one arm that is still in rehab.)
As an owner of a 17" MacBook Pro, I'll second that! Mine has been all around the world with me.

S

Sean_Reid

Sean:

I suspect they may have a backlog of current version components they want to thin out before officially announcing the new processors. It may be a while, like June before they have anything new available...
Hi Jack,

I wondered about that and also if there's still a lot of stock at dealers that needs to be cleared out. *When* is of course the million dollar question. I can hold on until early February if need be but I'd rather start getting to know Macs again sooner instead of later.

Cheers,

Sean

S

Sean_Reid

Sean -- go for the 17" definitely! since you have the case and all, your eyes will thank you. six weeks is an awful long time working on a 15" monitor... (the 17" wasn't nearly as bad to lug around as i expected and i've got one arm that is still in rehab.)
It is a long time on a 15" monitor and I would really rather have the 17". It's just the LED question that I've got to sort out and make my peace with.

Thanks for the input folks, I appreciate it. Cameras and lenses are one thing but I certainly have no special expertise with laptops and haven't owned a Mac since the early 90s.

Cheers,

Sean

Maggie O

Hiya Maggie,

Just out of curiosity, which generation machine do you have?

Cheers,

Sean
The very first of the MacBook Pros. It labors under the strain now and again, but it's remarkably stable. I think I'd nab an LED 17" if it existed.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jack,

I wondered about that and also if there's still a lot of stock at dealers that needs to be cleared out. *When* is of course the million dollar question. I can hold on until early February if need be but I'd rather start getting to know Macs again sooner instead of later.

Cheers,

Sean
Have you looked at a NEW 15"??? Seriously, it may be enough for you...

S

Sean_Reid

Hi Jack,

Yes, I've looked at the current model several times. It might work.

Cheers,

Sean

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well folks not to bring in a downer but I think my 30 inch display took a walk in LA. They found our cloths but no 30 inch display. I'm not exactly happy but Jack told me today which i did not know they updated it in August this 07 and I bought mine back in Sept. of 06 so maybe this might be a blessing in disguise. i have a feeling in never made it to the loading dock with our trucks there.:wtf: Would not mind a Eizo but there too expensive and no 30 inch I know of. I was wrong

FlexScan SX3031W

S

Sean_Reid

Hi Guy,

Sorry to hear it. LA is interesting for this. I returned a review camera by UPS and it mysteriously fell off the truck in LA as well. Are you moving?

Cheers,

Sean

Guy Mancuso

No I did a Model and Talent convention for 10 days that my wife runs and I shoot about 6 k in images plus do all the graphics and all the multimedia for the event so my desktop goes there .We ship her whole office with supplies with a shipping company than they return everything from the hotel dock . My guess the whole shipment was on the dock waiting for a 54 ft truck and someone walked off with it. There still checking different places it could be but a 30 inch display is light enough to walk off with in it's box with a handle.

Guy Mancuso

It looks like it was stolen , already placed a claim with insurance but my wife's boss is going to give me a check to replace it than pay him back when the insurance check comes in. Someone got a nice Apple Cinema , hope it explodes on them. LOL

S

Sean_Reid

It is the kind of thing that can easily develop legs. Too bad it wasn't a CRT, the thief could have a least gotten a hernia.

Cheers,

Sean

Guy Mancuso

Well just glad they did not get the MacPro which was sitting right next to it at a nice healthy 60 lbs and replacing that would have been pretty serious money. Well even though I am bummed out a little, one thing you learn after many years as a shooter is shit happens and you just have to role with it.

Guy Mancuso

I was looking at that Lars and it does looking VERY interesting. Hmmm

Hate to be the guinea pig again.

jlm

Workshop Member
just put my new Eizo CG241W into service, calibrated it with my spyder. amazing. I had been using my 30" dell, getrag calibrated. Vast improvement. fell right into the screen. didn't have time to make a print to check if wysiwyg; that will be tomorrow