Site Sponsors

Thread: If the Macbook Pro 17" Goes to LED...

Sean_Reid

If the Macbook Pro 17" Goes to LED...

...then please post. I'm watching for that news and I imagine others might be interested. Heck, I'd even appreciate a PM on the topic.

Cheers,

Sean

Mitch Alland

Re: If the Macbook Pro 17" Goes to LED...

Sean:

What is the advantage of LEDs: is it that the viewing angles can be greater without the character of the image on the monitor changing? As you know, I bought the 17" high resolution MacBook Pro without LEDs with which I'm quite happy.

—Mitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got the same rig as Mitch and its screen is gorgeous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the 15" with the led screen. There is still some off-angle falloff, but the big advantage IMO is extended battery life --- my daughter gets about 90 minutes of battery on her 1 year old 15" MBP while I get over 3 hours on mine and they use the exact same batteries.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Mitch Alland

I wonder, Jack, because I get 3-1/2 to 4 hours on my 17" MacBook Pro.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another - huge - advantage of LED lighting is consistent light level over time. Most CCFL lights dim considerably over the lifespan of a display (laptop or desktop), in the range of 20-50% over the first 1-2 years. LEDs (are expected to) dim only marginally over time.

Also, LED brightness is less affected by temperature than CCFLs. Not something to recommend trying, but if you stuck your CCFL-based laptop in the fridge for a while then it would be pretty dark. This temperature dependency in turn makes it difficult to get consistent color reproduction. LEDs are better in this aspect as well.

LED lighting does not change the basic characteristics of the LCD display technology, so don't expect viewing angles to be any different just becouse of the light source. If there is a difference it is due to LCD manufacture.

Jack - no point in comparing battery life between a new and a one year old battery. Lithium-Ion batteries have a lifespan of perhaps three years from the time of manufacture, regardless if they are used or not. You have to compare using the same actual battery.
    Last edited by Lars; 11th January 2008 at 09:02.

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Alland View Post
    Sean:

What is the advantage of LEDs: is it that the viewing angles can be greater without the character of the image on the monitor changing? As you know, I bought the 17" high resolution MacBook Pro without LEDs with which I'm quite happy.

—Mitch/Bangkok
    Hi Mitch,

I was persuaded by Rob's comments here:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-8741-9027

I've also looked myself and the viewing angles do seem to be improved with the MB Pro LED. I like the other advantages as well but the calibration issue interests me most.

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like

has anyone been to a Sony shop to see its prototyp OLED screen? i came across it by chance. the screen is only about 5mm, the the overall color is rich, the blacks are deep with details, the highlights are bright and detailed, and viewing angle is VERY wide. i didn't notice any shifting even when i viewed the screen sharply off to the side. i was impressed.

according to the store sales, the production screens will be out in late 2008.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Alland View Post
    I wonder, Jack, because I get 3-1/2 to 4 hours on my 17" MacBook Pro.

—Mitch/Bangkok
    The 17" also has a much larger battery to begin with, so not sure how much difference that makes...

As re Rob and the new machines having better angle o view, let's read what he wrote:

"The inescapable conclusion is this: calibrated and profiled as described above, the screens in the older 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pros don't quite cut it, but the new MacBook Pro 15 inch model with LED backlighting displays colour that's pleasingly close to the mark. And while the new laptop has the same tight viewing angle as the older models, it's less of a problem in reality because of the aforementioned near-elimination of colour oversaturation problems."

This is more in line with what I saw comparing mine to my daughter's, IOW not a huge difference in view angle, but very good color on my new one.

Cheers,
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thegrumpymonk View Post
    has anyone been to a Sony shop to see its prototyp OLED screen? i came across it by chance. the screen is only about 5mm, the the overall color is rich, the blacks are deep with details, the highlights are bright and detailed, and viewing angle is VERY wide. i didn't notice any shifting even when i viewed the screen sharply off to the side. i was impressed.

according to the store sales, the production screens will be out in late 2008.
    What I didn't understand in the pictures of the unit was the box at the bottom. They tout the thing as being really thin but that makes no difference how thick/thin it is if the footprint is limited by the box size. Did I miss something?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    What I didn't understand in the pictures of the unit was the box at the bottom. They tout the thing as being really thin but that makes no difference how thick/thin it is if the footprint is limited by the box size. Did I miss something?
    probably not. if i'm remembering correctly, the base of the screen is about 1" thick and 3" deep. most likely the base houses the components that run the OLED screen.

now i remember why i mentioned the OLED screen. i was wondering if apple was holding off updating the screen for the 17" because they're waiting for the OLED to become available.

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    The 17" also has a much larger battery to begin with, so not sure how much difference that makes...

As re Rob and the new machines having better angle o view, let's read what he wrote:

"The inescapable conclusion is this: calibrated and profiled as described above, the screens in the older 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pros don't quite cut it, but the new MacBook Pro 15 inch model with LED backlighting displays colour that's pleasingly close to the mark. And while the new laptop has the same tight viewing angle as the older models, it's less of a problem in reality because of the aforementioned near-elimination of colour oversaturation problems."
    Hi Jack,

I saw that too when I was re-reading it. Maybe there was something else in the way the computers were located at the Mac dealer that made them seem different in that respect. Very curious to hear tomorrow's news.

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My take is that while they still show brightness falloff after a fairly narrow angle --- say 15 or 20 degrees off center --- the colors and saturation don't change like they did on the older screens, so the net effect isn't as noticeable or offensive...
    Jack

Sean_Reid

Followed the news for an hour out of busy day but, alas, there was no new MB Pro announced. I was hoping for a 17" LED with Penryn and literally was sitting with my credit card near the monitor.

I've only been able to compare the 15" LED and the 17" in Mac stores. I'd be happy to hear from anyone who has owned both or used both extensively. It's the monitor that I really care about.

Thanks,

Sean

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like the new LED display on the 15 inch. Sean look at it this way also , great for travel than the BIGGY here is you can still run a 30 in. display from it in the office. I run a 30 on the desktop and a 23 on the laptop but it will and does do a great job running a 30 inch. The DVI out is a huge feature here plus 4gbs of ram and you have something to work with. Personally i would not go 17 inch too big for travel.

My bad news for today is my desktop and 30 inch display were on a truck actually two trucks today coming back to Phoenix and not only are my wife and I missing our two garment boxes full of our nice cloths but my 30 inch seems to be lost somewhere between LA and Phoenix . Not a happy moment and replacing my wife's cloths is not a cheap adventure. Hopefully it will show up and there is plenty of insurance to go around to cover it all but still.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Sean_Reid

Hi Guy,

Thanks for the thoughts and sorry to hear that some of your stuff seems to have been stolen. I need the MBP mostly for times when I'm going to be away from my studio for days at a time. For example, about 6 weeks in late February and then periodically spending a few days at a time with a friend who has been very ill. So, its not so much a day to day machine that I would have to carry, more like my portable workstation. Although...the 15" would be a bit less size and weight to carry in the trunk of my motorcycle.

Did you have a 17" MBP before this, Guy? Happy to hear also from anyone else who has owned both. I'm also going to e-mail Rob G. whom I know a bit since we're in the same lines of work.

Thanks, great and versatile web site you've got here.

S

Sean_Reid

I briefly owned a (1440 ppi) Sony 17" which was a good machine but it just couldn't render B&W pictures very well. I still have the case though and discovered, today, that the case fits in my M/C trunk so I can carry a 17" widescreen on the bike.

I'm sure you are all very relieved to know this....<G>

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No never owned the 17in although have tried it many times . I had a 17 inch PC at one time. 10 lbs, it was a truck.

Oh found our cloths but looks like my monitor is missing in action.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sean -- go for the 17" definitely! since you have the case and all, your eyes will thank you. six weeks is an awful long time working on a 15" monitor... (the 17" wasn't nearly as bad to lug around as i expected and i've got one arm that is still in rehab.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sean:

I suspect they may have a backlog of current version components they want to thin out before officially announcing the new processors. It may be a while, like June before they have anything new available...
    Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    Sean -- go for the 17" definitely! since you have the case and all, your eyes will thank you. six weeks is an awful long time working on a 15" monitor... (the 17" wasn't nearly as bad to lug around as i expected and i've got one arm that is still in rehab.)
    As an owner of a 17" MacBook Pro, I'll second that! Mine has been all around the world with me.

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Sean:

I suspect they may have a backlog of current version components they want to thin out before officially announcing the new processors. It may be a while, like June before they have anything new available...
    Hi Jack,

I wondered about that and also if there's still a lot of stock at dealers that needs to be cleared out. *When* is of course the million dollar question. I can hold on until early February if need be but I'd rather start getting to know Macs again sooner instead of later.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    As an owner of a 17" MacBook Pro, I'll second that! Mine has been all around the world with me.
    Hiya Maggie,

Just out of curiosity, which generation machine do you have?

Cheers,

Sean

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    It is a long time on a 15" monitor and I would really rather have the 17". It's just the LED question that I've got to sort out and make my peace with.

Thanks for the input folks, I appreciate it. Cameras and lenses are one thing but I certainly have no special expertise with laptops and haven't owned a Mac since the early 90s.

Cheers,

Sean

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_Reid View Post
    Hiya Maggie,

Just out of curiosity, which generation machine do you have?

Cheers,

Sean
    The very first of the MacBook Pros. It labors under the strain now and again, but it's remarkably stable. I think I'd nab an LED 17" if it existed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_Reid View Post
    Hi Jack,

I wondered about that and also if there's still a lot of stock at dealers that needs to be cleared out. *When* is of course the million dollar question. I can hold on until early February if need be but I'd rather start getting to know Macs again sooner instead of later.

Cheers,

Sean
    Have you looked at a NEW 15"??? Seriously, it may be enough for you...
    Jack

Sean_Reid

Hi Jack,

Yes, I've looked at the current model several times. It might work.

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well folks not to bring in a downer but I think my 30 inch display took a walk in LA. They found our cloths but no 30 inch display. I'm not exactly happy but Jack told me today which i did not know they updated it in August this 07 and I bought mine back in Sept. of 06 so maybe this might be a blessing in disguise. i have a feeling in never made it to the loading dock with our trucks there. Would not mind a Eizo but there too expensive and no 30 inch I know of. I was wrong

FlexScan SX3031W

Sean_Reid

Hi Guy,

Sorry to hear it. LA is interesting for this. I returned a review camera by UPS and it mysteriously fell off the truck in LA as well. Are you moving?

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No I did a Model and Talent convention for 10 days that my wife runs and I shoot about 6 k in images plus do all the graphics and all the multimedia for the event so my desktop goes there .We ship her whole office with supplies with a shipping company than they return everything from the hotel dock . My guess the whole shipment was on the dock waiting for a 54 ft truck and someone walked off with it. There still checking different places it could be but a 30 inch display is light enough to walk off with in it's box with a handle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It looks like it was stolen , already placed a claim with insurance but my wife's boss is going to give me a check to replace it than pay him back when the insurance check comes in. Someone got a nice Apple Cinema , hope it explodes on them. LOL

Sean_Reid

It is the kind of thing that can easily develop legs. Too bad it wasn't a CRT, the thief could have a least gotten a hernia.

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well just glad they did not get the MacPro which was sitting right next to it at a nice healthy 60 lbs and replacing that would have been pretty serious money. Well even though I am bummed out a little, one thing you learn after many years as a shooter is **** happens and you just have to role with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,
    New NEC 30" next month, with IPS panel and 12-bit calibration LUT and NTSC color space coverage. Not too shabby for $2200. Should be a match for the Eizo.
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/17/n...nguists-scowl/

BTW the Eizo 30" is not in the ColorEdge series so it's not top-end WRT imaging.
    Lars
    Last edited by Lars; 17th January 2008 at 08:19.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was looking at that Lars and it does looking VERY interesting. Hmmm

Hate to be the guinea pig again.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It doesn't mention LED on the 17" but this info (or speculation) might be useful

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._trackpad.html

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

just put my new Eizo CG241W into service, calibrated it with my spyder. amazing. I had been using my 30" dell, getrag calibrated. Vast improvement. fell right into the screen. didn't have time to make a print to check if wysiwyg; that will be tomorrow