The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Beware OWC SSD drives

bradhusick

Beware - OWC will not honor product warranties on any of their SSDs unless you purchased them directly from OWC (or perhaps an OWC dealer, but I don't know if they have any).

I have a 2-year old SSD that I paid a lot of money for and their 5-year warranty is useless, it failed and they won't lift a finger to help me. Now it's going into the trash.

Plenty of high-quality companies honor warranties regardless of place of purchase. OWC is not one of them.

FYI.

:mad:

stephengilbert

Even if they stand behind them, I don't want a drive I can't trust. I bought one of their SSDs that failed. They honored their warranty, but I sold the replacement drive.

fotoism

It's bad enough to have an SSD fail on you, not having the warranty honored is adding insult to injury. OWC may not be the only one doing that I'm afraid, even though their products are supposed to be of good quality. I came across this forum discussion recently that made me think twice what SSD I will buy next time.

bradhusick

Update: after reaching a more senior support rep at OWC, they agreed to "transfer" the warranty for a nominal fee and the drive is now in an RMA process, going in for testing and possible replacement.

I will post further updates as they occur.

atanabe

Update: after reaching a more senior support rep at OWC, they agreed to "transfer" the warranty for a nominal fee and the drive is now in an RMA process, going in for testing and possible replacement.

I will post further updates as they occur.
Interesting customer support. I had a Seagate drive fail once and all it took was the date of manufacture and serial number to get a replacement sent out. Glad I did not buy an OWC product and will steer clear from them in the future.

bradhusick

New replacement drive due to arrive tomorrow. Only cost me $50. Not sure what to think about this whole ordeal, but I am not left feeling all warm and fuzzy about OWC.

Anybody wanna buy a new 480GB OWC SSD? ;)

bradhusick

The new drive arrived and is working (for now)

This episode cost me $50 for the "warranty transfer" and another $10 shipping, plus my time in dealing with it.

I think if a warranty is good for X years, it shouldn't matter who owns it. As long as there's no evidence of tampering or abuse, companies should cover their products.

Every company experiences product failures - the great companies emerge when they demonstrate how they treat their customers when failures occur.

End of this thread for me.

mesposito

I've had nothing but good experiences with OWC. I've bought multiple SSD's from them, both SATA and PCI. In my experience they are the best Mac hardware suppliers.

Not discounting your experience though. I've always bought direct.

JMyerz

It's weird and kind of like Volkswagen fans, people either have amazing experiences or the worst ever.

Everything I've bought from OWC has been DOA or defective. They've been more than accommodating on the returns, but still frustrating. I had 2 SSD's that never worked from day one and one of their RAID's that got so hot all the drive's in it burnt up.

I've had great success with crucial SSD's so far.

J

danielmoore

Oldish thread but I wanted to put in my .02.

I'm a brand agnostic computer technician by day and I've been in the habit of using OWC for the macs when upgrading clients machines to SSD who want/need them. In the past year I've had a nearly 50% failure rate with them. Contrast that with Samsung SSD's with a zero failure rate over the last year. Intel is still enjoying a comparatively high reliability record but Samsung often run cheaper. They offer their Samsung Magician software bundled with a new drive. It's great for initial setup, but can be un-installed after optimizing the system.

Not to trash OWC but I no longer use their RAM either due to a poor track record, IME. I've seen problems with all brands of RAM but for now, Gskill is my go to. Perhaps this will be of use to someone.