Site Sponsors

Thread: Reliable data recovery service needed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Reliable data recovery service needed

i won't go into the details of my stupidity, but i managed to lose one month of photographs and all my PP'ed files on a two-week-old LaCie external hard drive. (i do not need lectures. trust me, i've learned!)

i knew it was going to be expensive to recover the data, but i was gob-smacked with the estimate i received from a company here in Paris. as i'll be back in the states later this month, i was hoping somebody might point me in the direction of a reliable company that does not try to scalp you?

if anybody do so, it would be greatly appreciated.

thank you in advance!
    cam

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reliable data recovery service needed

What part of the country will you be in, Cam? I can get info for the SF Bay Area and maybe LA. Or Lincoln! HAAA! Like you'd be in Lincoln!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL! not Lincoln (though i'd adore to come play with you!). i'll be in lala land (los angeles), but have no trouble sending it up to the Bay Area if need be. i just want my pictures back! and i had to choke when i was quoted a price that would have bought both my cameras and then some...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Let me ping my pals in Silicon Valley and L.A. and I'll get back to ya.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

bisous!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I inquired with a data recovery company in Sweden two years ago. Regular price for one drive was about €3K, and a special price for non-business at €1K.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lars, that's about what i was quoted and just can't afford it... yes, it's my own stupid &%[email protected]^€” fault, but still. the HD died as i was setting it up to make DVD back-ups, having just gotten back from holiday the night before.... i understand paying for your mistakes, but i find these quotes outrageous!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yep, just like lawyers they've got you by the balls and charge exorbitant hourly rates. The company in Uppsala has a fancy clean room, they do forensic and security work as well. Presumably, for some of their clients cost is not as much of an issue.

Is the disk completely dead or can you pull some data off it? Might be worth a try to salvage as much as possible before paying the big bucks, although if it's a surface defect it might spread with usage.

Without rubbing anything in I think the lesson here is to bring multiple disks when traveling. Travel means physical abuse, and (obviously) laptop drives fail. One photographer I know of brought three laptop drives on a safari to Africa, kept all three synced every night. The good thing about laptop drives is they are small enough that you can always keep one pocketed in case your luggage or hotel room gets swiped.

I must say I was impressed by the drives I used in Australia though. 50K kilometers, maybe 20% of that on unpaved washboard roads - we're talking millons of corrugations. Not a single drive failure in 12 months.
    Last edited by Lars; 13th January 2008 at 06:10.