The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Interesting backup device when on the road

I'd gladly pay more if the device had an lcd so images could be reviewed and deleted once an edit has been done. Some years ago Jobo made such devices, as well as a company called Wolverine. I bought the Wolverine only to learn that it wouldn't read a .dng raw file. Wolverine said they'd resolve this issue and never did... so it was not what I expected. I still shoot with the Leica DMR and it won't shoot raw and jpg at the same time... so I'm stuffed if the device won't read .dng files.

The value of such a device (with an lcd), while traveling overseas, is that it would eliminate the need for a laptop. Most cell phones won't work abroad unless you switch the Simm card... and IF I had an iPhone I wouldn't be inclined to bring it along as I'd be compelled to carry it on my person at all times just to protect it from fast fingers. There is a cult of Apple in South America as well as in the US... and an iPhone that's left unattended develops legs quickly.

Other World Computing has 2TB Elite Pro Mini external drives that have USB3 and eSata interfaces but no SD card reader... but the drive speed is only 5400 rpm. No telling what the speed of the Western Digital device is as I couldn't find it in the a link I found to the processor: AM3352 | AM335x Processors | ARM Cortex-A8 Core | Description & parametrics

The device would be interesting if the drive's speed is 7200 rpm or faster... but I hate being an early adopter of such devices. My first and only 5400 rpm Western Digital 160 gb external drive died several days after I took it to the Andes so I'm a bit hesitant about their "reliability " claims.

If the Western Digital device is significantly faster than the OWC device it would be useful for storing images... but I'd personally prefer something with a screen so I could delete images that aren't "keepers." I could save the weight of the laptop if such a device existed.

Lawrence

Kirmo

For several years been doing trips far from home.

I carry a MacBook Air 11" and 3 external small disks.
Need to be sure for backups. Need to read either CF's or
other type of memory cards.

I don't see that these would make much sense to current
situation. Also I can do some work with MacBook (have LR and
C1 on it).

Kirmo

David Schneider

For travel, I use Fuji XE1 and XE2. I'm hoping the next generation of Fuji mirrorless cameras will have dual slots so I have an instant sd card back-up. I've found the dual slots in my Canon 5Dmk3 have saved me time when I thought I had a problem and convinced me dual slots are a great addition to any camera. Instant back-up a moment of capture is better than I thought.