The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mac disk space conundrum... HELP!

simonclivehughes

I have an iMac 2.93 GHz I7 with a 256GB SSD boot drive. I'm running low on space on the SSD, and when I look at where the space is used, I see that using 'Get Info', my user folder (\Users\myname) reports that its size is 173.66 GB.

(There is virtually nothing in \Users\Guest or \Users\Shared. I have about 19.42GB in my main Applications folder.)

The problem is that if I do a 'Get Info' on each of the resident subdirectories, I should have, at most, about 7GB of reported used space.

Any ideas???

Also, is there a way from within Finder, to have the Size shown, rather than have to use the 'Get Info' function on individual folders?

TIA

I have an iMac 2.93 GHz I7 with a 256GB SSD boot drive. I'm running low on space on the SSD, and when I look at where the space is used, I see that using 'Get Info', my user folder (\Users\myname) reports that its size is 173.66 GB.

(There is virtually nothing in \Users\Guest or \Users\Shared. I have about 19.42GB in my main Applications folder.)

The problem is that if I do a 'Get Info' on each of the resident subdirectories, I should have, at most, about 7GB of reported used space.

Any ideas???

Also, is there a way from within Finder, to have the Size shown, rather than have to use the 'Get Info' function on individual folders?

TIA
OK, last thing first. If you select List view in a Finder window, there should be a column showing the file sizes. If there isn´t, just click Command + J, and check the ´Size´ box in the small window that opens. While there, also check `Show all sizes´ (or something to that effect; I´m on the Swedish version, so I can´t see the exact term used); it´s the third check box from the bottom.

Now you´ll see everything the Finder wants you to know...:rolleyes: Problem is, there are lots of hidden files that take up space without showing up in the regular list, and chances are that your problem is caused by such files.

There are tools to see, and purge, such files; one good and free one is OmniDiskSweeper. Download it, run it, and see what happens; it will show all files in size order, and you should be able to find out where the problem is.

IMPORTANT! Unless you really know what you´re doing, do not start deleting files just because they are large and look unfamiliar; it may render the system unable to run! First of all, make a good backup of everything important!

D

Deleted member 7792

There are tools to see, and purge, such files; one good and free one is OmniDiskSweeper. Download it, run it, and see what happens; it will show all files in size order, and you should be able to find out where the problem is.

IMPORTANT! Unless you really know what you´re doing, do not start deleting files just because they are large and look unfamiliar; it may render the system unable to run! First of all, make a good backup of everything important!
+1

OmniDiskSweeper is free and quickly shows EVERYTHING. As noted, backup first and delete carefully.

Joe

simonclivehughes

Thanks, Gents, OmniDiskSweeper came through (love the Omni stuff), and the culprit is iOS backups from my two 128GB iPads.

I've found a Terminal script that will allow me to change the location of the iOS backup folder to my 2TB internal HDD. That alone will free up 135GB on the SSD.

On a separate matter that I'm puzzling over...

My Keynote app (on the iMac) is version 6.1, but there is an update to 6.2.2 that I cannot load/update. I tried to trash the file and then re-download it from the App Store, but it still doesn't show an update available.

The part that stinks is that I was working on a file that now won't open as it says "You need a newer version of Keynote to open this presentation. You can download the latest version of Keynote from the Mac App Store."

Yeah... that's what I'd love to do, but no joy... any suggestions on this???

Cheers,

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Now this may be a red-herring but there is an OS X 10.9 requirement for Keynote 6.2.2. If you're not running 10.9 then you probably won't get the upgrade option.

simonclivehughes

Thanks, Graham, but I'm on 10.9.5 so that shouldn't be an issue.

I must say, I hate that the updates are now done through the App Store... I don't ever remember having these type of issues with the old Software Update scheme.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
What is supposed to happen is that if you drop keynote in the trash, empty the trash, go to app store, hold down the option key and click on purchases, then you should be able to download KeyNote again. The version it downloads should be the latest 6.2.2.

If that's not working then I'm not sure what else to suggest.

D

Deleted member 7792

What is supposed to happen is that if you drop keynote in the trash, empty the trash, go to app store, hold down the option key and click on purchases, then you should be able to download KeyNote again. The version it downloads should be the latest 6.2.2.

If that's not working then I'm not sure what else to suggest.
Yeah, what Graham said. I use an app remover called AppZapper. It's not free, but it removes the app and all its preference files. You can enable it to remove Apple apps as well as apps that are installed from the App Store. Sometimes simply moving an app to the trash leaves residue that prevents the installation of a newer version. Hope this helps.

Joe

simonclivehughes

Well, interestingly, trashing the app and re-installing worked this time, and it installed 6.2.2 right away (instead of just 6.1). So I'm happy camper.

Thanks gents!