Site Sponsors

Thread: OSX Yosemite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OSX Yosemite

Anybody played with it? Wondering how different it really is from 10.9.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: OSX Yosemite

When I played with an early Yosemite release, I didn't see much that excited me. Mostly cosmetic changes at that time. I quickly got bored and reverted to 10.9.5. YMMV.

Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Anybody played with it? Wondering how different it really is from 10.9.
    OS X Yosemite 10.10 on nMP works fine with my Firmtek Port-Multiplier enclosures.
    However, one needs firmware update Q6G-6.1.8FC1 that is not yet publicly available.

As usual, here is a comprehensive review. OS X 10.10 Yosemite: The Ars Technica Review | Ars Technica
    With best regards, K-H.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm just nervous to upgrade given compatibility issues with software and my external drives and such. Don't want to be the guinea pig here
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Loaded on both 2013 Mac Pro and 2013 MacBook Pro. External Thunderbolt drives and USB 3.0 drives work OK. No major issues with apps and compatibility (yet). Most app developers had their apps ready during the beta development. I like the "look" of Yosemite but see no major improvements that will help my productivity.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a bit of a luddite, but Mavericks is hardly old. Is the rollout of new operating systems getting quicker from Apple? Is there a reason?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been testing OS X v10.10 Yosemite for several months.

The release is excellent. I've had zero problems with any of my software (LR, PSCS5, FileMaker Pro, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Flare, DNG Converter, my word processing tools, etc etc). The Yosemite version of Safari (Version 8.0 (10600.1.25)) is much faster than prior versions and seems to have fewer issues. The system boots faster and I'm noticing that I get more time out of a battery charge.

There are many cosmetic changes and quite a lot of functional improvements too. For me, it's a win-win ... I've moved all my systems (both work (four) and personal (two)) to Yosemite now. Everything I use has checked out well.

(The latest version of Pages has improved the document file structure, making it easier to share files with DropBox or iCloud, and a couple of outstanding improvements in the UI. That makes me very happy.)

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Is the rollout of new operating systems getting quicker from Apple? Is there a reason?
    Integration with iOS features to increase market share in both the mobile and laptop/desktop universes. The iOS-ification of Mac OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    The release is excellent. I've had zero problems with any of my software... The system boots faster and I'm noticing that I get more time out of a battery charge.
    The only negative I'd offer is the slowness of the File Open dialog. This seems to be a bug and has been documented on Lloyd Chambers' blog. It's annoying but not a deal breaker (for me).

Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    The only negative I'd offer is the slowness of the File Open dialog. This seems to be a bug and has been documented on Lloyd Chambers' blog. It's annoying but not a deal breaker (for me).
    Interesting! I use File > Open so infrequently these days I hadn't actually noticed the problem.

Yes, the file navigator dialog seems to image in a couple of steps; it's a little clunky for sure. I don't think it's much of a problem given that users seem to open files by double clicking them in the Finder, but it would be nice to see it cleaned up.

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

been running Yosemite on macbook pro and 2013 Mac Pro for a week now. No issues at all so far, PS, LR, C1, and printing to epson printers
    wayne
    My gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I may just upload it. Just looking for a time frame in between gigs to do it. I'll do 2 backups of Mavericks just in case it gets ugly. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Did not update yet, but what makes me wonder is the graphics side of things. Not everyone is equipped with retina displays, and from what I read so far is that it looks all crisp and sharp ion retina displays, but not so on others. Even down to type fonts used by the system, which changed as well now, and you can not so easily switch back to your Lucida Grande font. On non Retina systems this new font used is suppsed to cause some moderate to severe eye bleeding. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I'm running this on a nMP 6 core with 64gb ram,its becoming sluggish at times and needs a reboot to solve it,I would wait for the .1 or .2 version if you rely on your machine...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Georg Baumann View Post
    Did not update yet, but what makes me wonder is the graphics side of things. Not everyone is equipped with retina displays, and from what I read so far is that it looks all crisp and sharp ion retina displays, but not so on others. Even down to type fonts used by the system, which changed as well now, and you can not so easily switch back to your Lucida Grande font. On non Retina systems this new font used is suppsed to cause some moderate to severe eye bleeding. LOL
    Looks fine on my Thunderbolt Display 27" and MacBook Air 13", neither of which are Retina displays. I like the new fonts quite a lot. They're easier on my eyes...

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RVB View Post
    I'm running this on a nMP 6 core with 64gb ram,its becoming sluggish at times and needs a reboot to solve it,I would wait for the .1 or .2 version if you rely on your machine...
    Interesting. I run my machines continuously and haven't seen a slowdown or had to reboot to restore performance yet, although I've not run on an nMP 6 core or with that much RAM. Please send feedback to Apple and include a full System Report.

Apple - Feedback

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Georg Baumann View Post
    Been running it on several non-retina displays (27 and 30” NECs, Thunderbolt display, older Apple 27” display) , don’t see this as an issue at all, really no different than Mavericks.
    wayne
    My gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Installing now. I just love punishment. See how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Seems okay for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well everything seems just fine I'm actually bagging my Mavericks backup now and backing up Yosemite. All the known issues posted so far are not happening. Only one I have not tried is wifi but by the time I need it version.1 will be out.