The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OSX Yosemite

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Anybody played with it? Wondering how different it really is from 10.9.

D

Deleted member 7792

When I played with an early Yosemite release, I didn't see much that excited me. Mostly cosmetic changes at that time. I quickly got bored and reverted to 10.9.5. YMMV.

Joe

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm just nervous to upgrade given compatibility issues with software and my external drives and such. Don't want to be the guinea pig here

D

Deleted member 7792

Loaded on both 2013 Mac Pro and 2013 MacBook Pro. External Thunderbolt drives and USB 3.0 drives work OK. No major issues with apps and compatibility (yet). Most app developers had their apps ready during the beta development. I like the "look" of Yosemite but see no major improvements that will help my productivity.

Joe

turtle

I'm a bit of a luddite, but Mavericks is hardly old. Is the rollout of new operating systems getting quicker from Apple? Is there a reason?

Godfrey

I've been testing OS X v10.10 Yosemite for several months.

The release is excellent. I've had zero problems with any of my software (LR, PSCS5, FileMaker Pro, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Flare, DNG Converter, my word processing tools, etc etc). The Yosemite version of Safari (Version 8.0 (10600.1.25)) is much faster than prior versions and seems to have fewer issues. The system boots faster and I'm noticing that I get more time out of a battery charge.

There are many cosmetic changes and quite a lot of functional improvements too. For me, it's a win-win ... I've moved all my systems (both work (four) and personal (two)) to Yosemite now. Everything I use has checked out well.

(The latest version of Pages has improved the document file structure, making it easier to share files with DropBox or iCloud, and a couple of outstanding improvements in the UI. That makes me very happy.)

G

D

Deleted member 7792

Is the rollout of new operating systems getting quicker from Apple? Is there a reason?
Integration with iOS features to increase market share in both the mobile and laptop/desktop universes. The iOS-ification of Mac OS.

The release is excellent. I've had zero problems with any of my software... The system boots faster and I'm noticing that I get more time out of a battery charge.
The only negative I'd offer is the slowness of the File Open dialog. This seems to be a bug and has been documented on Lloyd Chambers' blog. It's annoying but not a deal breaker (for me).

Joe

Godfrey

The only negative I'd offer is the slowness of the File Open dialog. This seems to be a bug and has been documented on Lloyd Chambers' blog. It's annoying but not a deal breaker (for me).
Interesting! I use File > Open so infrequently these days I hadn't actually noticed the problem.

Yes, the file navigator dialog seems to image in a couple of steps; it's a little clunky for sure. I don't think it's much of a problem given that users seem to open files by double clicking them in the Finder, but it would be nice to see it cleaned up.

G

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
been running Yosemite on macbook pro and 2013 Mac Pro for a week now. No issues at all so far, PS, LR, C1, and printing to epson printers

Guy Mancuso

I may just upload it. Just looking for a time frame in between gigs to do it. I'll do 2 backups of Mavericks just in case it gets ugly. Lol

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Did not update yet, but what makes me wonder is the graphics side of things. Not everyone is equipped with retina displays, and from what I read so far is that it looks all crisp and sharp ion retina displays, but not so on others. Even down to type fonts used by the system, which changed as well now, and you can not so easily switch back to your Lucida Grande font. On non Retina systems this new font used is suppsed to cause some moderate to severe eye bleeding. LOL

RVB

I'm running this on a nMP 6 core with 64gb ram,its becoming sluggish at times and needs a reboot to solve it,I would wait for the .1 or .2 version if you rely on your machine...

Godfrey

Did not update yet, but what makes me wonder is the graphics side of things. Not everyone is equipped with retina displays, and from what I read so far is that it looks all crisp and sharp ion retina displays, but not so on others. Even down to type fonts used by the system, which changed as well now, and you can not so easily switch back to your Lucida Grande font. On non Retina systems this new font used is suppsed to cause some moderate to severe eye bleeding. LOL
Looks fine on my Thunderbolt Display 27" and MacBook Air 13", neither of which are Retina displays. I like the new fonts quite a lot. They're easier on my eyes...

G

Godfrey

I'm running this on a nMP 6 core with 64gb ram,its becoming sluggish at times and needs a reboot to solve it,I would wait for the .1 or .2 version if you rely on your machine...
Interesting. I run my machines continuously and haven't seen a slowdown or had to reboot to restore performance yet, although I've not run on an nMP 6 core or with that much RAM. Please send feedback to Apple and include a full System Report.

Apple - Feedback

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Been running it on several non-retina displays (27 and 30” NECs, Thunderbolt display, older Apple 27” display) , don’t see this as an issue at all, really no different than Mavericks.

Guy Mancuso

Well everything seems just fine I'm actually bagging my Mavericks backup now and backing up Yosemite. All the known issues posted so far are not happening. Only one I have not tried is wifi but by the time I need it version.1 will be out.