Site Sponsors

Thread: MacWorld Keynote live Jan. 15th

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

MacWorld Keynote live Jan. 15th

MacWorld live starts today look for a live update later today

http://www.macworld.com/article/1314...iveupdate.html
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: MacWorld Keynote live Jan. 15th

T-minus ten minutes and counting!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the new Apple TV may be pretty cool with movie rentals. I never bought the original.
    the new airport extreme can also potentially solve one of my back up problems.

Today may turn out expensive for me but what day isn't?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I want an iPhone with GPS and GSM
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

okay, major chuckle! flickr failed during the demo... so that's what all the server upgrades and hiccups were for -- and all for naught!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool, the Apple TV 2 is also going to be a free software update for original Apple Tv owners. Meaning, ME!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    I want an iPhone with GPS and GSM
    you and me both!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    Cool, the Apple TV 2 is also going to be a free software update for original Apple Tv owners. Meaning, ME!
    we do as well... it's going to be interesting to see if i'll be able to rent the movies or not. i've been fine buying tunes since i have a US bank account, but i'm wondering if they're going to be stricter on the film rentals...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ok who will have a MacBook air at Moab????

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

MacBook Air: WOW!!!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yikes. The SSD version is $1300 more! He said it was pricey!!!!
    The regular hard drive looks sort of slow but I am not a techno geek.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The AIR was basically what my last sony 13.1 with carbon fiber case was. Very cool little machine. The Sony was a bit heavier at 3.75 pounds, but processor specs were comparable at 1.86 core DUO, 2G RAM and a 100G drive, with 4 hours battery life. Truth be told, for imaging, the 13.1 screen was a bit constrained to edit images on, but it had a full-sized keyboard --- I much prefer the additional screen on the 15" MBP...
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

DougDolde

Obviously the MacBook Air is going to be great for air travelers. I think that's where they will sell most of them.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The AIR was basically what my last sony 13.1 with carbon fiber case was. Very cool little machine. The Sony was a bit heavier at 3.75 pounds, but processor specs were comparable at 1.86 core DUO, 2G RAM and a 100G drive, with 4 hours battery life. Truth be told, for imaging, the 13.1 screen was a bit constrained to edit images on, but it had a full-sized keyboard --- I much prefer the additional screen on the 15" MBP...
    Any thoughts on SSD vs regular hard drives?

agree on screen size but loathe taking laptops anywhere so size and weight are important to me. I have a teeny Sony with a virtual keyboard and stylus that was a Japanese model that came to the US for about a month.Useless for photography but great for basic travel.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Re: MacWorld Keynote live Jan. 15th

agree on screen size but loathe taking laptops anywhere so size and weight are important to me. I have a teeny Sony with a virtual keyboard and stylus that was a Japanese model that came to the US for about a month.Useless for photography but great for basic travel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wished they would have allowed the iphone for business accounts this year...I would have bought one. But I guess I can use my itouch for mail now.
    Mike

website under construction

Sean_Reid

Bummer...no new Macbook Pros. I watched the news eagerly for that one announcement but...nada. So now to decide on a 15" LED or a 17" LED. I was hoping for a 17" LED with Penryn...

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_Reid View Post
    Bummer...no new Macbook Pros. I watched the news eagerly for that one announcement but...nada. So now to decide on a 15" LED or a 17" LED. I was hoping for a 17" LED with Penryn...

Cheers,

Sean
    If you can wait just a bit longer, you might get your wish. The current buy recommendation for Mac Book Pros here: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro

Sean_Reid

TR,

Thanks. I've seen that and I wonder if they would recommend differently now that nothing new for the MBP was announced in the key note.

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I remember reading an interesting discussion (somewhere) re: the decision to release the Mac Pro upgrades prior to MacWorld. I came away with the perception that it was a strategic move to allow for the more consumer-oriented product offerings that we witnessed today. It would seem as though Apple is riding the current wave of consumer appeal and so wanted to focus on those products that would have the biggest "wow" factor.

The new Mac Pro will be a "wow" for me, but in the end it's not that appealing to the general public. I see a processor upgrade for the Mac Book Pro in the same light. Benchmarks with the new processors in other laptops have shown some modest gains in power consumption and even more modest gains in speed. So the switch will be a nice upgrade for pros who need it, but isn't necessarily worthy of the attention and PR that gets generated with a Keynote a la Jobs.

So I think it will happen, and it would have been nice to know when, but that ain't the Apple way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post

The biggest advantage to SSD drives right now is they are virtually bomb-proof if you drop your system. A regular spinning drive can withstand maybe 1/2 G without damage, and maybe 1G when off. However, an SSD drive is probably more like 8 or 10G running or off, so a drop will not likely damage the drive. (Nothing saving the screen though...)

They are also theoretically going to be faster, but the new parallel recording technology, larger on disk buffers and 7200 RPM spindle speeds on the latest SATA2 laptop drives means this performance gap is pretty narrow.

Bottom line, the SSD drives are VERY expensive right now for the added benefits IMO. In two years though, I suspect they'll be run of the mill in high-end laptops.

My .02

MacPro just arrived, so off to unpack it!
    Jack

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    I see a processor upgrade for the Mac Book Pro in the same light. Benchmarks with the new processors in other laptops have shown some modest gains in power consumption and even more modest gains in speed. So the switch will be a nice upgrade for pros who need it, but isn't necessarily worthy of the attention and PR that gets generated with a Keynote a la Jobs.

So I think it will happen, and it would have been nice to know when, but that ain't the Apple way.
    I think, for photographers at least, the speed is less of an issue than is the potential for a 17" LED screen.

Cheers,

Sean

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

iPhone Update

I just did my iPhone update. I'm impressed.

For those waiting for GPS the new system that triangulates where you are worked perfectly and drew a circle around my block in NYC (and yes I was inside the circle). This is significant for me because I get very poor cell phone coverage from Verizon and AT&T in my apartment that has brick walls that are very old and thick. To get any coverage on those two a device needs to sit on the windowsill. Strange but T-Mobile is perfect all through the apartment. For the GPS test I was not at the window and I had one bar of coverage. So, while no "real" GPS if there is cell phone service or WiFi your position can be detected and set with a pin and directions to your destination can be obtained. Not nearly as robust as using a full GPS system but certainly not bad. It runs off of Google Maps and unlike your GPS I assume you will always have the latest maps.
    The map application as a whole also got easier to use (this was the least intuitive of all apps).

I then went to GetDPI and put the site on an icon on my home page. But to keep clutter off the main page I moved it to page 2 which I will use for a number of frequently visitied places. Gives direct access to favorite web pages very quicly. Bravo Apple, VERY WELL DONE . Getting to content was easy before but this takes it a step further and it will be interesting when there are more web apps.

Need to rent some movies for my flight to Salt Lake City (for Moab).

In two weeks, I will definitely pick up Apple TV.
    I have an airport extreme but will probably still get Time Capsule because it does solve a big Time machine problem that I have.
    What will be hard is going to the Apple store and resisting the Air

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I did the the Iphone update as well and NOW is the time to make the investment and buy one. The extra features makes it more usable and getting directions now you can kick mapquest and a car Nav system out the window. No more getting lost. It will give me directions anywhere.

The Air sounds nice Terry but has some serious downfalls for a shooter. No CD compartment, no built in SD reader, no firewire for backup drives and a few other shortcomings like only 2mgs of Ram. It is truly a word, e-mail and that is about it machine, your Iphone does almost the same thing and with the release of the SDK for 3rd party developers we may see word on the Iphone anyway. Personally not worth my money since the 15 in i can do everything on it without carrying all the other crap. But if all you do is travel for work and don't need shooting functions from it than maybe great.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Guy,
    I know the Air pretty much s**ks for a lot of our stuff but hey don't most M users dream of traveling light. But, I do have a question.....everyone talks about having to carry so much gear around with the Air but I don't think I would have anything extra. I need a card reader now and a portable hard drive. The only thing I could think of extra would be a small USB hub so that the reader and drive could plug in at once and with Lightroom I can copy the files to both drives on import.

Mitch Alland

What do you think about a 1TB Time Capsule for automatic, continuous wireless backups. Can it be connected to a second 1TB HD for a periodic backup of the backup? Does that make sense?

ŚMitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry, i get to take a gander at the new Air late tonight so i'll give you first impressions. (the only description i've gotten thus far is GORGEOUS!)

Mitch, i'll check about your question as well. it's something *i'd* like to know.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Say hi to San Francisco for me, Cam. Tell her I miss her.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thanks cam, I look forward to your "report"!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Man Cam, even your BF is way hella cool!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FYI...I talked with a VP at AT&T today and where he couldn't say anything, yet, he said an announcement will be made soon, maybe as soon as next week, addressing iphones on business accounts. So I take that as a go!
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mitch, there is a USB port on the back of Time Capsule so you can plug in another drive for secondary back-up/archiving.

Terry, i'm afraid i must keep mum since it's not out for another few weeks. sorry. i will say this much though, the first words out my mouth when i was handed it was a four letter word beginning with F and ending with K. and i mean that in the best of ways!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks cam....I can't wait till they hit stores here in two weeks!
    Last edited by Terry; 16th January 2008 at 16:14.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My friend gave me good info; At&t will offer the iphone to business accounts as of Jan 21st. The details will include;

- same iPhone, no 3G, no 16GB, same price
    - requires eligibility (unknown qualifications to me, but supposedly regarding whether or not the company receives discounts), eligibility determined with the 'foundations account number'
    - same data plan (UNLIMITED!), rumors of a 5GB cap are false.
    - data plan will be more expensive -- $45 for 200txt/unlim data per month
    - $25 discount per month promotion starting on the 21st (essentially a promotion to keep the $20 price of the data plan of individual users)
    - $25 promotion ends after the 2yr service agreement is up
    - no activation fee
    - (current at&t customers) no upgrade fee
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maybe time for my wife to have it now. I have a Blackberry for her on my plan to get e-mail from her exchange server but e-mail is so much nicer on a Iphone. Hmmm only if she let's me buy something