The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Internet Security With MacIntosh

S

Sean_Reid

Thanks and, yes, I will. It's long-overdue, actually. Adobe has contacted me about beta-testing various programs but I just haven't had enough time free to do a proper job with that. But I'll download Lightroom today.

Cheers,

Sean

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Command + shift + E is the Export command than hit enter to process and right arrow key in develop mode to next image. My fingers are formed that way from overuse. Sean you can really fly fast with LR

waynelake

Well, I just got a Mobile Broadband Express card, for MacBook Pro, from Telecom New Zealand, = internet anywhere in cellphone coverage areas. It took the telecom person 2 hours work to get it going, had to take "Internet Connect" out of Applications, put it in Desktop and Dock. Do not know why, however it works. ?Something to do with Telecom NZ not supporting Mac/Express card.

So, been surfing internet a lot, made purchases with paypal. Yip...freee as a bird now:thumbs::D

Results of a 1MB download test.
Below is the data used to calculate your download speed:

Download time: 5.105 seconds
Size of file: 1058 Kilobytes
Estimated line speed: 1691.1 (kilobits/second)
Estimated line speed: 207.2 (kilobytes/second)

etrigan63

If one's web browsing, e-mail, FTP, etc. (ie: all the stuff that requires Internet connectivity) is all being done using Mac programs, would a virus, trojan etc. be able to make its way to the Windows section because of the virtualization?

Or would it need to actually enter through a Windows program that connected to the web? I ask because I'm hoping to use Windows emulation for just a couple of programs that do not, necessarily, need to have Internet access. In fact, Breezebrowser is really my only "go to" program (that I can think of) that doesn't have a Mac version.

Ironically, some of the other programs I like and use are specifically designed to secure Windows, fix up the registry, etc.

It's too bad my Netflix movie downloads are now in competition with Apple and require IE.

Cheers,

Sean
Time for me to chime in as an IT professional of 20+ years and one who has administered and secured networks of all stripes for about the last 10+ years.

And to do so in a more lighthearted vein (computer security is notoriously dry and boring) we are about to play an episode of Computer Security Mythbusters!

Myth #1: The Mac is immune to viruses and hacking - FALSE

The Mac represents a far smaller share of the personal computer market than Windows based systems. It's all simple economics. Why write a virus that only affects a tiny percentage of the population? Hackers and virus authors target low-hanging fruit. UNIX based systems were designed by engineers for engineers, not by security minded folks. Check the update logs of any UNIX (or UNIX derived) OS to see how many patches are released to close security holes. If you want a really bulletproof OS, use OpenBSD which has the best security track record of all computer OS's.

Myth #2: Virtualized Windows systems can't get infected. - FALSE

A virtualized Windows system is just as vulnerable as a hardware hosted one. The VM will need antivirus/antispyware/firewalls as well. Be sure to include them in the cost of the build. Granted, the use of Time Machine or other snapshot systems makes it easier to roll back to a pre-infected state but any system connected to the public internet is a target. Therefore, it stands to reason that if you never connect your Windows VM to the internet, you greatly reduce the chances of infection. Also, hackers won't target a non-connected machine as it is of very little use to them.

Myth #3: Really good Internet security is really expensive and complicated - FALSE

Unified Threat Management systems (UTM's) are used in enterprise networks to mitigate threats and secure the network. Such technology is also available to the home/SOHO user for little or no cost. I will be publishing a review of three UTM's (Untangle, Astaro Secure Gateway, & ComixWall) which can be deployed on small networks at no cost beyond dedicating a single machine to becoming an edge device on your network. The article will be published on PlanetX64 soon, but you can read a preview of it on my blog.

Myth #4: If I setup one of these UTM thingies, I don't need to install security software on the rest of my computers. - FALSE

The phrase "Don't put all of your eggs in one basket" comes to mind here. Relying on an edge device solely as your line of defense is foolish. The best defense is called layered defense. Yes, your UTM scans for viruses, spam, phishing attempts and other nasties, but the best practice in this scenario is to have security software on each machine in your network (where possible). Internal firewalls (called bastion firewalls) add another stumbling block to a hacker trying to gain entry into your network. Antivirus software (of a different brand) on your workstation will assist in catching any viruses the UTM may miss.

These topics and more will be covered in my article. I hope that this has helped you guys get an idea of how to do this properly. The article will cover the ease-of-use of these systems as well as the features and performance.

7ian7

Bridge is a fantastic editing tool precisely because of it's deceptively drilled-down functionality. Since i began using it just a few assignments back, I've been spending much less time in the "placeholder utility" universe, more quickly committing to selections and proceeding to full-on processing.

I encourage anyone was turned-off by Bridge's earlier incarnations (as I was), to check out how it has evolved.

7ian7

Regarding MAC security, for what storage costs these days, an up-to-date but disconnected terabyte backup external drive is never a bad idea. :)

cjlacz

Regarding other people's comments on Mac security I'd agree that a security suite isn't currently needed. I've been using my Macs for about 5 years and never had security installed and I haven't had any problems. My laptop went for about 4 years through two OS upgrades, but I never reinstalled.

VMware Fusion vs Parallels vs Crossover. I'm using Parallels right now, mainly because it's the first one I bought and it's the only one that runs a game I rarely play. Parallels maybe has the most features, but it is also the biggest resource hog. If you can get the software to work with Crossover that would probably be the best. Otherwise I'd go with Fusion over parallels right now. From a couple trials and other people's experiences it seems more responsive and uses less resources.

Another note on VM machines. If you give your Windows VM machine access to your Mac drive viruses on your Windows machine could possibly do something to your Mac drive. Not as likely though. Parallels tends to make it easier for your Windows machine to interact with the Mac side, while Fusion tends to isolate the two making it a little safer. Crossover I'm not as sure about, but I've also read it's less likely to infection then the other two. I also believe every application runs in it's own separate container making it safer and you only have to reinstall one app rather then the whole machine if there is a problem.

S

Sean_Reid

What I'm doing now is running Fusion with Kaspersky installed in the XP virtual machine.

Cheers,

Sean

harmsr

Workshop Member
Sean,

Does Photo Mechanic work with M8 & Nikon D3 files? By looking at their site, I can't find our what RAW files are supported.

If using Capture One, I liked using IView Media Pro now Expressions Media for all the sorting, rating, Exif info, etc... However, It is slow to preview D3 files and only shows the small imbedded JPEG for the M8. Therefore, on the M8 I can't do any light table zooms to check focus or fine detail when selecting.

Thanks,

Ray

etrigan63

I just tried it with my M8 and some D300 files and it read them perfectly. I also was able to ingest the images from the card reader with all of the functionality that I had with Downloader Pro and then some. You have to set it in preferences to render the preview from the RAW file instead of the embedded jpeg

Last edited:

etrigan63

FYI - Photo Mechanic uses the OS RAW engine, so it will support any RAW file Leopard can read, and is updated when Leopard is updated.

etrigan63

Another Update: I have Photo Mechanic ingesting images as previously reported, but now have it writing them to my local hard drive and a network server (Windows Home Server w 1.5TB of storage) simultaneously. I have it configured to match the directrory structure on both sites, but you can set it up with custom structures in each one. Very slick.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
There is at least one OS-X virus in the wild and some other threats. Just before I retired from the University, we were in the process of deploying Sophos Anti-virus on the Mac's on campus and in use by faculity.

I've got it for my home Mac system. Expect more security problems with Macs as they gain market share.