The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Internet Security With MacIntosh

S

Sean_Reid

I build my own Windows computers and have gotten to know the world of Windows, for better or worse, passably well. And on our XP machines, I use Kaspersky for Internet security. Norton's best days seem to be far behind them.

I haven't owned a current Macintosh since about 1994 or so, and so I have lots to learn now that I may be switching over. I know that Macs, in general, have fewer virus problems, reportedly, than PCs but how much security software do they need and what software are folks using? Leopard has its own firewall, yes? Is that enough for the firewall.

Educate me please if you'd be so kind.

Thanks,

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Sean,

I've had an older G5 for about 5 years and a Macbook Pro for a year. Have NEVER added any other protection to either machine and have had zero problems !! And, I use them daily for extended periods of time on the internet. Now I don't download a lot of crap, but do open numerous emails with attachments and so far no trouble. I hope this doesn't jinx me !! :D

As an aside, thanks for your very easy to understand reviews. :thumbup: Many are way too technical. Now that I've given you all this praise, think I need to resubscribe !! Don't remember, but do you send out reminders? ;)

Just my experience,

Jim

Maggie O

Macs have essentially NO virus problems. You don't need a firewall. You don't need a virus scanner.

OS X is UNIX, and it's got 30+ years of top-level geeks making it bulletproof. I avoided Macs until OS X came out. I don't think I'd switch now. Especially since I've made substantial investments in a Logic-based recording studio!

Terry

Sean totally non technical answer but I thought the airport software also adds another layer of security.
Like the others, I do not add extra security software to my macs.

S

Sean_Reid

Thanks for the responses. It seems amazing to be able to run a computer on the web without a security suite.

Jim,

Thanks for the comments. We don't send renewal reminders because we're very low key about sales, etc. But you can request an expiration date from the site if needed or, if the subscription has lapsed, you'll know at log in.

Cheers,

Sean

Greg Lockrey

I just recently purchased a MacBook Pro, but I also run Windows on it because I use software that is made for PC's. My question about security is this, if I'm running Windows on the net with the Mac am I just as virus free?:confused:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I send and receive a lot of files from clients and in order to avoid any chance of embarrassment or liability, I use a software called VirusBarrier. It's completely invisible and seems bulletproof. Looking through the log of auto-scans for the past 5 years, I found only one item that was labeled as "infected" back in March of 2006. It intercepted and sanitized it before it could cause any damage.

The MAC OS is worry free for the most part (re: viruses, etc.) but no system is completely hack-proof. I'm guessing that as Apple's market share grows it will attract more attention from the malevolent and bored. The last thing I want is to find out that I have inadvertently passed something nasty on to a client, so I opt for the belt and suspenders approach.

Maggie O

I just recently purchased a MacBook Pro, but I also run Windows on it because I use software that is made for PC's. My question about security is this, if I'm running Windows on the net with the Mac am I just as virus free?:confused:
You are on the Mac side, but not on the Windows side. Windows is Windows, no matter what computer it's running on at the moment.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The real issue is it's harder, but not impossible to hack Macs. (Mac doesn't load software components all over the place like Win does, meaning fewer entry points.) As was said above though, it's becoming more of an issue for Mac users as Mac gains market share.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Never had a issue , i also use a airport extreme so my laser printer can be used wireless for all 4 computers in the house also.

Maggie O

Well, not really. Just the Windows part of it. Windows can't talk to the OS X part in any meaningful way.

If you got hacked, you could shut down, reboot in OS X and wipe the Windows files off your HD and then reinstall and start over with Windows.

M

meilicke

If you are virtualizing your Windows world via VMware or Parallels (both have worked great for me, but there are subtle differences), use Time Machine to backup your virtual disk files. Then if you do get infected, just roll back to a prior version. I have done this in the past when I had a serious glitch and it worked like a champ. Alternatively, you can take snapshots with either tool, say one per week over a rolling month, and similarly roll back. The disadvantage to snapshots is that you have to manually make them, and they chew up disk space.

Scott

Greg Lockrey

Well, not really. Just the Windows part of it. Windows can't talk to the OS X part in any meaningful way.

If you got hacked, you could shut down, reboot in OS X and wipe the Windows files off your HD and then reinstall and start over with Windows.
This is what I was hoping as to how it worked, that's one reason I went this route. BTW, the Mac Geek that sold me my system did say that the latest CS3 was 'made' for the 10.5.

Greg Lockrey

If you are virtualizing your Windows world via VMware or Parallels (both have worked great for me, but there are subtle differences), use Time Machine to backup your virtual disk files. Then if you do get infected, just roll back to a prior version. I have done this in the past when I had a serious glitch and it worked like a champ. Alternatively, you can take snapshots with either tool, say one per week over a rolling month, and similarly roll back. The disadvantage to snapshots is that you have to manually make them, and they chew up disk space.

Scott
This is an excellent tip, Scott. I was wondering what the Time Machine was all about. I still have to get used to how Macs do things. When I turn this on and attempt to choose a back up disk, the drop down window isn't giving me any choices. What am I missing??

Last edited:
S

Sean_Reid

If one's web browsing, e-mail, FTP, etc. (ie: all the stuff that requires Internet connectivity) is all being done using Mac programs, would a virus, trojan etc. be able to make its way to the Windows section because of the virtualization?

Or would it need to actually enter through a Windows program that connected to the web? I ask because I'm hoping to use Windows emulation for just a couple of programs that do not, necessarily, need to have Internet access. In fact, Breezebrowser is really my only "go to" program (that I can think of) that doesn't have a Mac version.

Ironically, some of the other programs I like and use are specifically designed to secure Windows, fix up the registry, etc.

It's too bad my Netflix movie downloads are now in competition with Apple and require IE.

Cheers,

Sean

Maggie O

If one's web browsing, e-mail, FTP, etc. (ie: all the stuff that requires Internet connectivity) is all being done using Mac programs, would a virus, trojan etc. be able to make its way to the Windows section because of the virtualization?
Nope. That would be impossible.

You're good.