The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Studio Backdrops Deal

etrigan63

Epicbackdrops.com is going out of business. You can get any of their backdrops for 50% off with this code:

RPSN5136GOB1

I am not affiliated with them, but felt you guys needed the heads-up about this one.

etrigan63

I just ordered a dual color muslin backdrop (denim/light blue) in 10x20 and paid only $90. The backdrop has a rod pocket on one end, meta grommets on the other and the sides are crimped and whole shebang is machine washable. No tax and free shipping.

O

Oxide Blu

I am NOT a previous customer of Epic Backdrops. I tried to order a combo of 3, entered the coupon code you posted above, and clicked [apply]. The screen refreshed, the coupon was removed, and no discount was applied.

I guess the 50% deal is only for previous customer right now, opens to everyone in a few days, on Feb 22.

etrigan63

I never ordered from there until today. Coupon worked fine for me. Got it from a post over at DPreview.com.

O

Oxide Blu

I Googled, found out was was going on. It is on several photo websites.

Trying that coupon code again ...

ETA: got a pop up banner/notice on top of the order form; that coupon code only applies to certain items and none of those items are in my cart. Probably got the banner on the first attempt to order and didn't see it. I guess the discount does not apply to Combo Packages (3 muslins for $510). Would be a steal to get three for $255.

Thanks for posting about this discount.

Last edited:
O

Oxide Blu

I checked back with the website; one of the three backdrops had wanted was now sold out. I went ahead and bought the other two, 50% off with that coupon code. Thanks, agian! I noticed a lot of the backdrops were sold out within a few hours.

O

Oxide Blu

I picked up my backdrops today. One of them is supposed to be dark gray on one side, med gray on the other. It looked black on one side, dark gray on the other -- and left my hands black when I took it out of the bag.

Following the instructions in the FAQ on the Epic Back Drop website, I washed the backdrop with mid detergent (1/2 strength!) in cold water. My washing machine has the option of double rinse cycles. I double rinsed it, cold water. to be sure all of the detergent was out. When washing/rinsing was done, I grabbed the wet back drop -- black on my hands, still, but not as bad. Color looks better but it is wet, won't know for sure until it is dry. Back into the machine for another double rinse. It seems that may have done the trick. The back drop is now dark gray on one side, med gray on the other, and only traces of black on my hands. I'll let it dry and decide if I need to rinse it more.

ETA - Carlos, big difference after washing the back drop. You may want to consider washing yours, too, especially if it is one of the two-sided "washed" ones. After washing it has that random "washed" look. Didn't have that before I washed it.

Last edited:

LJL

Oxide Blu,
Good to know that most of the excess dye comes out with being able to wash the washable backdrops. A colleague photog had bought a couple of the Epic backdrops before this sale, planning to use them for shoots with kids rolling or laying on them on the floor. She was mortified when she started to handle them and had black dye all over her hands, clothes, and everything the backgrounds touched. She sent them back, not knowing if washing would really help or not. Good to know it does work....mostly.

I have been using Westcott backdrops, and have not run into this problem. I was very tempted by the Epic prices, but was worried about the dye issues. Thanks for the update on the cleaning procedures. So how are they working out after all your washing/rinsing?

LJ

etrigan63

Yeah, mine arrived and went straight to the washing machine. Two washes later, it looks perfect. Now I just have to let it dry out.

O

Oxide Blu

Oxide Blu,
... So how are they working out after all your washing/rinsing?
The two-sided dark/med gray 'washed' backdrop went back in for a second wash and 4 more rinses. After drying the color is perfect, can be handled without getting black on my hands.

The light gray, their 'Frost' backdrop only needed 1 wash and 4 rinses to get the excess dye out. I went in the dryer on 'very low' heat setting, came out perfect.

Overall, the quality of the dye job on the Epic backdrops is poor. At 1/2 price they are a 'fair' deal. I used to make my own backdrops using muslin from Musson Theatrical supply. Natural (no fire retardant) is $6.50/yard -- $22.75 for a 10x10 un-dyed backdrop, twice that price for 10x20-ft back drop.

Jacquard Procion MX fabric dye is really good stuff, available at art supply places everywhere. Solid colors I did in the washing machine. It takes 3 or 4 bottles if dying a dark color, 2 bottles for lighter colors. $3.50/bottle. As I recall, you also need a bag of soda ash and 1-lb box of table salt. My friend did her 'washed' backdrops in the bathtub. You're looking at about $40 to make your own 10x10 backdrop -- and the quality will be much higher. The final product is a backdrop that is soft, has deep color, and is color-fast, nothing comes off on your hands or other fabrics. If possible, I suggest DIY, and only buying Epic at 1/2-off as a second choice.

ETA: btw, if you look at the end of the seam, near the last grommet, there are a couple of tags sewn to the Epic backdrop; one is the size (10x20) the other is "Made in India".

Last edited:

LJL

Thanks for the update. Glad that things worked out. Sounds like a bit of a hassle, but you will probably be glad you took the time and effort to "clean" things up for use.

I have not gone with many solid color backdrops, preferring the painted ones instead. I have thought about spray painting my own at times, as I have the equipment and such, but I know my artistic abilities there would be more than limited ;-) Several folks that shoot high school seniors a lot have done some rather nice "panels" using muslin and spraying or painting scenes themselves, such as graffiti walls and other "grunge" looks. If I had the time and patience, I think that would be the way to go, but until then, I will scout out those scenes and shoot on location. (Another option is to shoot a scene, project it onto the muslin, and then paint over it to get the desired look.)

Sorry, got a bit off-topic there.

LJ

O

Oxide Blu

... Another option is to shoot a scene, project it onto the muslin, and then paint over it to get the desired look.

Or better yet, project the desired scene onto a blank background.

'Digital' all but killed the background painting scene. There were some folks that were mildly famous among photographers for their backgrounds. No idea which ones, of any, have survived.

Years ago (before digital pro digital photography) I had an opportunity to photography in front of a background painted by Thomas Kinkade. He painted a background to be used at his company Christmas party.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Thomas Kinkaid,
Slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch.
That master of kitsch!
phhhhhfffft.
YMMV
-bob

O

Oxide Blu

Thomas Kinkaid ... That master of kitsch!
phhhhhfffft.
Kitsch or not, Kinkade is extremely successful at what he paints, a targeted genre.

If you want to talk about "kitsch", let's talk about the work of Marc Chagall. ;)