The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

iPad Pro

tashley

Subscriber Member
Gear slut that I am, I purchased one. Acres of fun but no sensible workflow for photographers at anything other than the jpeg level. Sure, you can import RAW files and view their crappy embedded jpegs in the photos app, then import them to PhotoRaw or Photogene but the latter won't export a large file at its original pixel dimensions and the former has clunky controls. Both are quite fast, though.

For now, despite its processor speed, lovely big screen and name, it ain't no pro device if you're a photographer. It IS a lot of fun, though....

Any other users with larger brains or more patience than me who have been able to develop a satisfactory RAW workflow?

mediumcool

If enough ppl expressed interest, maybe Phase One would port a substantially feature-complete C1 to the iPad Pro. Downside is the need to push the software through the iOS Store, where ppl are used to paying not-very-much. A strategy of marketing a “lite” C1 through the store, with a paid upgrade in the app could work, depending on Apple’s policies.

Another consideration is whether iOS has the same level of built-in RAW support as with OSX.

The iPad Pro with its (near) desktop performance, would be a great location ’puter.

Godfrey

I was given one recently and just started using it.

- PhotoRAW, PhotoGene, and Snapseed work very well on this iPad.
- Paper by 53 runs superbly on it.
- It's incredible for watching movies and viewing photographs.
- It's great for reading web pages, books, PDFs, etc.
- The sound quality out of the four-speaker system is outstanding.

It's also quite huge, having become accustomed to using an iPad mini for three years. It's not a simple "stuff it in the bag and go" kind of device, like the iPad mini is. It's more of a 13" laptop replacement, with a touch-based operating system.

The name? Eh; I'll just call mine "Gigantor" and not worry about it.

Not yet sure what I'm going to do with it, but I'll figure it out. :)

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I can't really see any reason to buy this rather than a Surface 3 that:

- Runds Windows 10, allowing it to run Photoshop
- Accepts Micro SD cards
- Has a full size USB 3 contact
- Charges with a standard USB charger, the same as my mobile phones, my headset, my portable speakers etc.

I've been an enthusiastic Apple user for 20 years, but the iPads are consumer grade devices, whatever name Apple adds to them.

mediumcool

- Accepts Micro SD cards
- Charges with a standard USB charger, the same as my mobile phones, my headset, my portable speakers etc.
This is a thread about the iPad Pro.

I've been an enthusiastic Apple user for 20 years, but the iPads are consumer grade devices, whatever name Apple adds to them.
This certitude may well bite you on the bum, particularly given the uptake of iPads in business. Check out the alliance between IBM and Apple, for instance. Consumerish? Not inevitably. ;)

Godfrey

- Accepts Micro SD cards

None of that makes the slightest bit of difference to me, Jorgen. This was an iPad Pro thread, not a bullshit "my Surface is better than your iPad and Apple sucks" thread.

However, since you bring up the question, since the iPad was released I've seen them in use in many business situations (cash registers, inventory control management, POS devices, signature and ID verification devices) and technical situations (for example, ATT service personnel use them for signal analysis, line routing, error history analysis, etc; astronomers use them to control telescopes; disc jockeys use them to run music for events and dances, etc). I've also seen them in extensive use by graphics designers and photographers.

Whether Surface tablets are used for things like this or not, I don't know—but I've never seen a single Surface used for any of these things. In fact, I've only ever seen two Surface tablets anywhere other than in the Microsoft store. One of those was sitting on the shelf, for sale, in the Salvation Army Thrift Store.

G

bradhusick

As an owner of the iPad Pro I can tell you that the software Mylio makes it a perfect device for showing your photos. It automatically syncs with the desktop (Mac or PC) version (and iphone, Win phone, Android) and you can decide what goes to what device - I have all my originals on the Mac, previews and thumbnails on the iPad and just thumbnails on the iphone. I have nearly 200,000 photos in the catalog. The calendar view is brilliant.

I don't see the ipad (or any laptop) as a photo editing tool, since the screens change appearance with viewing angle. That's the job of a properly calibrated desktop monitor.

There's a 30 day free trial on the Mylio website Mylio Photo App Pricing Plans: Basic, Standard and Advanced

Full disclosure: I like Mylio so much I teach it in my classes and recommend it to my students, and I signed up to be in their affiliate network.

Brad

View attachment 115305

bradhusick

None of that makes the slightest bit of difference to me, Jorgen. This was an iPad Pro thread, not a bullshit "my Surface is better than your iPad and Apple sucks" thread.

However, since you bring up the question, since the iPad was released I've seen them in use in many business situations (cash registers, inventory control management, POS devices, signature and ID verification devices) and technical situations (for example, ATT service personnel use them for signal analysis, line routing, error history analysis, etc; astronomers use them to control telescopes; disc jockeys use them to run music for events and dances, etc). I've also seen them in extensive use by graphics designers and photographers.

Whether Surface tablets are used for things like this or not, I don't know—but I've never seen a single Surface used for any of these things. In fact, I've only ever seen two Surface tablets anywhere other than in the Microsoft store. One of those was sitting on the shelf, for sale, in the Salvation Army Thrift Store.

G
My son was given a Surface Pro 3 in school - nothing but trouble.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Sorry about my negative statements. I guess I should have sent a letter to Apple instead. Being an Apple user, I wanted to like the iPad Pro. It would have been a perfect compliment to the 15" Retina which is my everyday computer. But every time I read reviews and user experiences of the device, it's about the workarounds needed to make it work for my use, workarounds that may or may not be suitable for me. This is not even about money, but about practical solutions and Apple doing some market research. Things being the way they are most likely won't lead me to buying a Surface. I don't want a Windows device for many good reasons. The result for me is that I'll keep on carrying the Retina everywhere, also on occasions when a competent iPad would have been a much better, easier to carry solution. It's sheer frustration from my side, nothing else.

A Micro SD Card slot might be enough to tip me over, plus maybe the use of a standard charger, but it seems to be very important for Apple to prevent users from adding additional storage to their portable devices. Telephones can have more storage space today than what can be installed on an iPad Pro. It's not about some exotic technologies here. It's about giving Apple users the same options and the same flexibility as users of other portable devices. If they want to keep me as a user, they have to stay on par with the competition. That's pretty universal with any commercial organisation.

But I assume that the 12W power adapter can be used for charging other, non-Apple devices if equipped with a standard micro-USB cable, can it? Can I use a generic USB charger to charge an iPad Pro if I use the USB/Lightning cable on that device?

Last edited: