The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Storage (Bedroom/Studio - not hard drive)

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
So where & how to do you store all the bags, tripods, cameras, lenses, etc. that you have?

I have allocated approx 25% of a room to my camera equipment + printer + prints. I have been informed, that I'm losing a portion of this space :cry:

Currently, I'm storing the lenses and bodies in my two bigger bags (backpacks). Then stacking the bags. The printer paper goes in the drawers of the cabinet under the printer, except the 2 largest sizes which don't fit, so they go on the floor underneath the cabinet. Misc pieces (clothes, cleaner, batteries, chargers, etc) are in the drawers or in the backpacks. Spare bags (~5) are all stacked up next to the cabinet. I know, I know. I only have seven bags. I am truly an amateur. :ROTFL:

So what about you? How do you store your stuff? And do you have any recommendations for me? Thanks!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
You can make room by reducing the amount of clothes.
Also, if you raise your bed, a pretty good size lens drawer fits underneath.
If the rest of the bags are not full, you have plenty of room left.
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
You can also make more room by buying/renting a bigger place or one with a garage. Alternatively you could also generate room by eliminating the GF... Or get a car with a bigger trunk :D

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
I think I'm losing my space TO clothes :(
For a diminutive woman, she is to clothes like Imelda Marcos is to shoes.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
It all fits in one 18 by 18 room
printer on top of cabinet that holds all printer supplies.
Two floor to ceiling cabinets are files on the bottom, misc gear in the middle and lenses etc on top. 10 desk drawers add some more storage
Closet holds bags, bins and office supplies.

oops, I forgot,
There is the studio downstairs, a 20 by 20 room with french doors that open to the great-room (30 by 40) for the longer shots. Autopoles hold a three roll seemless rack.
Storage on walls and a cabinet and closet for lighting modifiers.
The stuff just about disappears.

clothes are limited to one walk-in closet for her and one for me.
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Gee, Thanks Jack :p

So how do you guys store your stuff at home?
All the pods, light stands, empty gear boxes and gear bags are in the garage. In dusty, hard to get to corners or the very bottom or top storage shelves. That is because over the past 28 years I have lost all my prime garage space to my wife's stuff...

When the kids finally leave -- I mean permanently, like after college and after my wife really cuts the umbilical -- I will (hopefully) convert one of their rooms to my own personal space. Again.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Suggest you look into one of those vacuum bag clothing storage dealies. You know, stuff all the off-season clothing in a plastic bag and suck the air out of it until it's compressed to the depth of about an inch. Then stack those somewhere out of the way, like the attic. One must draw the line somewhere. Resist! (and if you're successful, then I'll be able to use you as an example with my wife!) :eek:

D

DougDolde

I have a bedroom that's completely empty. Want to rent it out?

D

DougDolde

I have avoided the evil institution for over the last 30 of my 61 years. Marriage was invented by women to trap and ensnare men.

Well I realize that sounds a bit harsh. Religion also had a hand in it. Another evil institution invented to make men feel guilty.

Last edited:

Terry

Well Chris....I have the solution.....do like me......have multiple homes and then you can spread out the gear in multiple locations.... which then means you will never be in the place that has the gear you want to use that day.

O

Oxide Blu

...have multiple homes and then you can spread out the gear in multiple locations.... which then means you will never be in the place that has the gear you want to use that day.
:ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Well Chris....I have the solution.....do like me......have multiple homes and then you can spread out the gear in multiple locations.... which then means you will never be in the place that has the gear you want to use that day.
:ROTFL: Yeah, that's the only thing stopping me from taking doug up on his offer to rent a room! :p

And given that you've seen me look just about every piece of equipment I own to the beach... Not having the piece I wanted around would drive me nuts! :banghead:

I'm just going to have to get more creative. I'm thinking about replacing the printer cabinent with a larger taller cabinet that can hold more stuff. Right now it pretty small (2 drawers) stands 18-24 inches tall or so. If I got one w/ the same dimensions except 48 inches tall... it would significantly help w/ the current storage issue.

Thanks all!