The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Don't Let Guy See This

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Nice but really since it is Firewire 800 you can just buy a drive and enclosure and make it yourself. Okay this is sexy though i will admit. I need more lenses . LOL

MrSlezak

The one company, Symwave, that was sampling S1600 seems to be now focused on USB3.0 silicon. Who knows, maybe there is a bridge in the works in the future, but it seems USB 3.0 is poised to drop the final blow to 1394/FireWire except for really narrow vertical purposes.

Who knows what could have happened if Windows had supported S800 before Windows 7...

Lars

Who knows what could have happened if Windows had supported S800 before Windows 7...
I tried to be a Firewire user on Windows for a number of years, really tried... had laptops, desktops that supported it, scanners, hard drives. In the end reliability was crap, whereas USB2 just worked. I have dozens of FW cables, a dozen or so computers, cards, 2.5" and 3.5" drive portable enclosures as well as stationary ones and scanners.

I had a number of complaints:

- Unreliable connection with external hard drives through mini-FW connectors - repeated data loss. Unacceptable of course.
- Data loss on Microtek 1800 scanner whenever scan buffer full (scanning 8x10 film). USB worked fine on the same hardware.
- The widespread use of the mini-FW connector is a disaster, it's not a good design. A few bumps on the connector while connected and it doesn't stay in place anymore, connection becomes sporadic.
- The higher current rating spec of 1A of the fullsize powered FW made most laptop manufacturer skip implementation and just go with mini-FW. This killed the market for portable FW hard drives except on Mac.

My view is that Apple compensated for the numerous mistakes in the FW spec through strict control of hardware and drivers. This is the only reason FW is still alive.

Whether the problems I've seen where due to hardware, drivers, unclear spec of lack of validation I really don't care. USB always works, FW doesn't. Thousands of dollars later and with two months of DSLR photos lost, I would have to say: Good riddance.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I hear you Lars, had the exact same issues with my PC. But it works and runs like a Swiss train on my Macs...

LizaWitz

Lars, I don't think there are lapses in the FW spec. I am pretty familiar with it, and it supports isochronos modes that supply sustained bandwidth for video capture, as well as async modes that support use as a drive interface. I think the FW spec is fine and the technology is fine, it just only got half-assed support in windows. (I think the mini-firewire was totally sony and a bad design, the regular FW plug is very robust. I know the mini got into the spec, but when you open a technology to the standards process, it gets compromised.)

The really killer feature of firewire-- for me, anyway-- is that it provide sufficient power to drive *two* external 2.5" hard drives. Thus with my laptop I can hook both external drives up to it without plugging anything in.

USB (including 3, IIRC) doesn't provide much power at all, just 5V at 0.5A.

ON SSD drives after doing a bunch of research I bought an intel XM80. These go for about $300 now, and I use this as my internal laptop drive. Saw a big boost to performance from it, and I look forward to the day that I can get rid of spinning platters of rust completely.

You can get an SSD drive (intel or other) and put it in an external case for less than the G-drive. G-drive seems to make good stuff but being able to make something as good or better for less money influenced me. Right now I'm using these cases and like them: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/on-the-go

They have FW800 and two ports so I can daisy chain, and they also have seperate on-off switches. The transparent case hopefully will make going thru customs easy cause they can see what's inside.

The on-off switch on the drive I think is very important for external 2.5" drives-- this lets you power off the drive without moving it . I think in the past the trouble I had with 2.5" drives was due to having to pick them up (While spinning) to unplug them.

Its sad to see that Apple removed FW from the low end macbook. USB is such an inferior technology, but its cheaper to implement and so many people buy just on price and are unaware of the performance and quality differences. I don't want to sound like a snob, but I feel bad for the people I hear having trouble or not getting good performance because they didn't understand the details of the technology when they bought (and lord knows, a salesperson isn't going to accurately articulate it.) I think part of the success of Apple in recent years is the presence of stores where people can get questions answered, and the increasing awareness that you can buy a mac and know you're getting the right bits and that it will just work.

But I digress. In short- SSD great, love it. Intel seems to be way ahead in the price/performance/quality spheres, and I hope firewire isn't replaced, or if it is, that USB 3 is much better than USB 2 and capable of powering external hard drives.

O

Oxide Blu

...I don't want to sound like a snob, but ...
It's too late for that. Oh, and welcome to the forum. :thumbup: :D

I think you will be impressed with the new USB2x wi-fi virtual power connection. It wirelessly provides power to small appliances, like disk drives.

LizaWitz

I think you will be impressed with the new USB2x wi-fi virtual power connection. It wirelessly provides power to small appliances, like disk drives.
LOL, I look forward to it! Giving my intensely mobile lifestyle, power distribution is a real problem. I can't tell you how excited I was to find a USB powered battery charger!

MrSlezak

I think the FW spec is fine and the technology is fine, it just only got half-assed support in windows.
Given 1394 works on some Windows systems and not others, I'd point to the implementation of the silicon; there are some 1394 chipsets with errata’s longer than their data sheet. Isn't to say Windows is a saint amung sinners, but it isn't the root of problem either.

(I think the mini-firewire was totally sony and a bad design, the regular FW plug is very robust. I know the mini got into the spec, but when you open a technology to the standards process, it gets compromised.)
Yes the Molex inspired 6-Pin and patented the 9-Pin connector/receptor. The 4-Pin was driven in by Sony and cheered on by JVC, Mitsubishi and others in the camcorder business. The idea the 4-Pin doesn't transport power really made it a 1394a a non-starter on PC laptops.

... and I hope firewire isn't replaced, or if it is, that USB 3 is much better than USB 2 and capable of powering external hard drives.
From what I saw, the 2009 Board of Directors for the 1394 Trade Association does not have anyone from a computer company seated for the first time in its history. That can not bode well for the technology.