The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Acetal Lens Caps

What size lens caps do you want?

• 30mm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 32mm

• 33mm

• 35mm

• 36mm

• 40.5mm

• 42mm

• 46mm

• 48mm

• 50mm

• 52mm

• 58mm

• 62mm

• 76mm

• 80mm

• 86mm

• 90mm

• 95mm

• 100mm

• larger than 105mm

• Total voters

FromJapan

Like most others who use large format lenses, I am sick of the poor quality OEM lens caps. Rather than simply moan about it, I have contracted with a manufacturer to make slip-on type acetal lens caps. The caps will be molded out of LG Lucel, an engineering plastic similar to Delrin. The initial samples look great. They have ribs around the circumference for better grip. The top surface is recessed so that a label can be stuck on it. The lens cap size is embossed on the surface for better readability. Finally, there are vents around the inner circumference to let air escape while attaching or removing the cap.

Here are a couple of low-res 3D renderings to show what the caps will look like. They'll be black, not multi-colored!
Lenscap_03.jpgLenscap_04.jpg

I will receive final samples in a couple of weeks, and will post new photos at that time.

Sizes will range from 30mm to 105mm, in 1 mm increments. Prices will vary according to size:
30~50mm 1,200 JPY (~12 USD / 11 Euro)
51~70mm 1,600 JPY (~16 USD / 14 Euro)
71~90mm 2,000 JPY (~20 USD / 18 Euro)
91~105mm 2,500 JPY (~25 USD / 22 Euro)
Shipping will be extra, via International ePacket service or optionally, EMS.

Since these caps will be molded, the cost of the molds means that not all sizes can be made right away. Therefore, before I place an order for a particular size, I'd like to know from members which specific sizes would interest them most. Please choose the sizes in the poll. If you do not see a specific size please reply either on the forum, or send me an email at focusgma at gmail dot com.

Thank you.
Kumar

FromJapan

I've compiled a list of lens cap sizes for Fuji lenses. I'll be making similar lists for Rodenstock, Schneider and Nikkor lenses, as well as older lenses - Zeiss, Voigtlander, etc. This is certainly not complete, and I'd be glad to have more data for other lenses. Just let me know here, and I'll add them to the chart.

10 days after I posted this on various forums, the order of preference according to the polls and messages I've received is:

1. 70mm - Most Fuji lenses use that size for the front cap.
2. 80mm - Almost all of them are for Mamiya RB / RZ lenses. The general complaint is that the spring on one side breaks, rendering the cap unusable.
3. 48mm - Mainly for the older Fuji lenses
4. 67mm
5. 62mm
6. 58mm
7. 52mm

Also, I think most users seem to have asked for front caps only! LF lenses need rear caps as well, and in many cases, the rear element is relatively less well-protected. Sometimes the element is almost flush with the barrel.

The manufacturer is sending me the final samples soon, and I will share photos here. In the meanwhile, please go through the list. If there are any errors, please let me know, and I would appreciate your input on other lenses.

Thanks,
Kumar

Attachments