Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: special-purpose lens

  1. #1
    Senior Member Lisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Posts
    396
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    40

    special-purpose lens

    My spouse is looking for a special-purpose lens for scientific purposes, and I don't know enough about weird lenses to help. I hope someone here can...

    They are looking for a 50mm C-mount lens (or they can adapt to other mounts - they don't need autofocus or iris control) that's as fast they can get (to use in very low light conditions). The tough part is that they need a minimum focus distance of less than 270mm (10.6 inches). They don't care if it's pretty soft. Very fast is important, though. They aren't very cost sensitive; they can spend several thousand dollars. It is to be used with a 1/2" sensor in an industrial video camera.

    He's found a Zeiss f/2.0 (Makro-planar T 2/250 ZF). However, is there any other ~50mm lens available, usable for that short focus distance, that's even faster?

    Thanks for any help you can provide,
    Lisa

  2. #2
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: special-purpose lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    My spouse is looking for a special-purpose lens for scientific purposes, and I don't know enough about weird lenses to help. I hope someone here can...

    They are looking for a 50mm C-mount lens (or they can adapt to other mounts - they don't need autofocus or iris control) that's as fast they can get (to use in very low light conditions). The tough part is that they need a minimum focus distance of less than 270mm (10.6 inches). They don't care if it's pretty soft. Very fast is important, though. They aren't very cost sensitive; they can spend several thousand dollars. It is to be used with a 1/2" sensor in an industrial video camera.

    He's found a Zeiss f/2.0 (Makro-planar T 2/250 ZF). However, is there any other ~50mm lens available, usable for that short focus distance, that's even faster?

    Thanks for any help you can provide,
    Lisa
    I wonder if a CRT Nikkor 55/f1.2 would work, I have one if you think is suitable. There's a typo on the page, the actual focusing distance is 41.7mm and not 417mm. http://homepage2.nifty.com/akiyanroo...crtface2.html;

  3. #3
    Administrator Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona
    Posts
    4,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    367

    Re: special-purpose lens

    There is also the Leica Noctilux f/0.95.
    50mm and a mount change or adapter would extend the lens so that it could focus that close.
    -bob

  4. #4
    Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Dublin, Texas, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    112

    Re: special-purpose lens

    Get a Canon 50/0.95 television lens and have them get S.K. Grimes modify it to their mount and focus distance requirements. I'm sure it will not be a problem for Grimes and their budget will fit Grimes work rates. He should give them a call and run his requirements by them.

    "The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston


  5. #5
    Senior Member Lisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Posts
    396
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    40

    Re: special-purpose lens

    I wonder if a CRT Nikkor 55/f1.2 would work, I have one if you think is suitable. There's a typo on the page, the actual focusing distance is 41.7mm and not 417mm. http://homepage2.nifty.com/akiyanroo...crtface2.html;
    ddk, we can't figure out that link; it's in Japanese. There's a Nikkor 50 (not 55) f1.2 manual-focus lens on the Nikon USA web site - is that the one you're refering to? But we can't find any mention of its minimum focus distance or of macro capabilities on the web site.

    There is also the Leica Noctilux f/0.95.
    50mm and a mount change or adapter would extend the lens so that it could focus that close.
    -bob
    We are clueless about adapters. What sort of adapter or mount change would be necessary to get the desired minimum focus distance? Does it really work as advertised without any undesired side effects?

    John: Thanks for the suggestion. He may give them a call.

    Thanks, all!

    Lisa

  6. #6
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: special-purpose lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    ddk, we can't figure out that link; it's in Japanese. There's a Nikkor 50 (not 55) f1.2 manual-focus lens on the Nikon USA web site - is that the one you're refering to? But we can't find any mention of its minimum focus distance or of macro capabilities on the web site.

    Lisa
    No Lisa that's not it, this was an industrial lens that focused very close, its fixed focus, I don't know what happened to the link but here it is again.

    http://homepage2.nifty.com/akiyanroo.../crtface2.html

  7. #7
    Senior Member Lisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Posts
    396
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    40

    Re: special-purpose lens

    No Lisa that's not it, this was an industrial lens that focused very close, its fixed focus, I don't know what happened to the link but here it is again.
    Thanks very much for the link - he thought it was just what he was looking for until the mention that it's fixed focus. Unfortunately that won't work for them, as there are tight constraints on exactly where they can put the camera, and the fixed focus distance isn't quite right. Almost...

    Lisa

  8. #8
    ddk
    Guest

    Re: special-purpose lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    Thanks very much for the link - he thought it was just what he was looking for until the mention that it's fixed focus. Unfortunately that won't work for them, as there are tight constraints on exactly where they can put the camera, and the fixed focus distance isn't quite right. Almost...

    Lisa
    I understand, the lens is pretty sharp wide open but if the focusing distance doesn't work, then I don't know what to say.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •