Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The new MBP, this sums it up

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The new MBP, this sums it up

I can understand the frustration of multiple adapters, although there are several clever combinations that can solve most people's needs. I basically agree that Apple's focus on being thin is obsessive, and would rather have a bit fatter notebook with a bit more weight and some more ports.

However, my Android Nexus 5X phone and MacBook 12" both use USB-C, and they quick charge, which is quite convenient. When I got the Android phone, I also got a USB-C to USB-A cable, so that one can utilize the wider world with ease. When I got the MacBook, I got an adapter with three ports, and that has served most of my needs.

Now, the MacBook only has a single port and I mostly worry about its longevity, but I love the fact that it weighs just 2 pounds with a wonderful 16x10 display and the same Apple quality together with the Mac OS system. Yes, I would use a SD card slot, and another USB slot, but this just plain works, and my needs are limited.

I like what a lot of other manufacturers do with their laptops, too, but after using Macs for more than 20 years, I simply prefer its environment. I still default to Aperture, and I only wish they kept developing it.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like

Any recommendations from 2016 MBP owners on a docking station? TIA

John

Post Thanks / Like

After debating for quite a while whether or not to purchase late 2016 MBP with touch bar, I bit the bullet about 6 weeks ago and purchased the new MBP. My reaction to date with the laptop is its OK; my reaction with Apple is never again! The dirty little secret from Apple support is that if they don't make it, they won't discuss it. I have a 4k monitor that doesn't have USB-C input. So I need to use adapters to hook it up. Per Apple support, "MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2016) and late-2016 MacBook Pro models support 60Hz refresh rates over HDMI when used with a supported HDMI 2.0 display, an HDMI Premium Certified cable, and a supported USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adapter." Apple will sell you the Premium Certified Cable, but when you ask about "supported USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adapter", the answer is something like "we don't make that so we don't discuss it". Same response at Apple Store and on-line support. So, my take on Apple's approach to its customers is along the lines of "We decided you don't need those legacy ports... now you go figure it out." I have been drinking the Apple Kool-Aid for a long time, but it has gone sour. Oh, I forgot... after a lot of time on the internet I found a one cable solution that I checked with the monitor manufacturer and cable manufacturer, both of whom were very helpful and gracious. And, the cable was not only simpler but cheaper than Apple solution. Go figure

Rant over.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sc_john View Post
    Apple will sell you the Premium Certified Cable, but when you ask about "supported USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adapter", the answer is something like "we don't make that so we don't discuss it". Same response at Apple Store and on-line support. So, my take on Apple's approach to its customers is along the lines of "We decided you don't need those legacy ports... now you go figure it out."

John
    So if I'm at some customer location and going to do a presentation using the customer's HDMI (plus an assortment of obsolete interfaces) projector and the 3rd party adapter that is the only option and it doesn't work, it's none of Apple's business. How convenient for them

I've been through this before when I tried to use 3rd party Thunderbolt to HDMI adapters with the MacBook Air that I had then. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. There was no way to be certain in beforehand. This was actually one of the reason why I upgraded to MacBook Pro.

If I upgrade to the new Apple in the future, the safest route is probably to carry a portable projector as well then, one with USB-C. That will save me a lot of weight

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Look who's back in town:

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/m.../A&step=config

That's my good old 2014 model MacBook Pro, 15" Retina, now available from... tadaaaa ... Apple

I'm quite sure this model wasn't there the last time I checked. Price is more or less the same as for the similarly specified new model, but at least now there's a choice for backwards old men like myself

It's interesting also to notice that the newly revised iMac models feature 4 x old style USB 3 and 2 x new style Thunderbolt 3/USB-C contacts plus an SD-card slot. The yet to be released iMac Pro features 4 x old style USB 3 and 4 x new style Thunderbolt 3/USB-C contacts plus an SD-card slot.

Somebody at Apple is apparently listening. Or maybe Apple developers also have a bunch of ancient style peripherals at home that they want to use

Edit: A colleague just came into my office with his brand new Acer Swift 3, a machine that looks exactly like his MacBook Air 13" but is made from plastic and costs less than half as much. It features 2 old style USB contacts, a USB-C and a full size HDMI in addition to an SD-card slot. We've used MacBook Air as travel computers here for years, but Apple policies and prices are about to change that.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Apple is dead to me right now without a 32/64gb memory option.

And I'm the ultimate apple fan boy. They pay part of my salary as a customer.

Dells XPS looks interesting although I could live with the latest Wacom multi studio pro tablet offering even with 16gb ram.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

The World is a book, and those that do not travel read only one page ...

Post Thanks / Like

I think this has been available from the beginning, but since you can't get it with the updated graphics, it limits your options if you are a photographer or work in video...
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Apple is dead to me right now without a 32/64gb memory option.
    could be, but Lr and Ps are so poor at leveraging cores I'm not sure beefing up RAM helps.

Since some might be interested, I just upgraded from the 2016 MBP loaded which I felt was a slight speed hit from my previous model, mid 2015 to the new 2017 model. The difference is definitely noticeable, especially in Lr. I've done a couple of trips with the 2016 version and the SSD speed is so fast I felt it performed fine for a laptop. The 2017 will be nice for my 2 week trip coming up.
    Last edited by Wayne Fox; 17th June 2017 at 16:40.
    wayne
    My gallery