The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MBP 2012 Retina 8gb RAM..... Next step?

sc_john

I hope this doesn't result in Mac vs PC bashing, that is not my intention. But, here goes...

I have a MBP mid-2012 Retina, 2.6 GHz Quad Core I7 Broadwell/Haswell(?), 8GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, NVIDIA GT 650M 1024 MB, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB. I am now working with much larger raw files than when I acquired this MBP, multiple layers, filters, etc. Phase One recommends: CPU with 4+ cores, 16+ GB of RAM, Solid State Disk (SSD), a fast Graphics card from NVIDIA or AMD with 2GB+ RAM (4+ GB for 4k or multiple monitors).

I intend to run laptop with 4K or 5K monitor, editing of still images only, no video. Also, no gaming. I have looked at 2016 MBP with Touch Bar, and I do not think the price/performance makes sense for me, at this time. So, that leaves me with a couple of alternatives:

1. max'd out 2015 MBP Retina w/2.8 GHz Quad Core I7 (Haswell/Crystalwell), 16 GB RAM, 1 TB flash storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2GB and Intel Iris Pro 5200 @, or
2. transition to PC such as Dell XPS 15, Quad Core I7, 2.6 GHz Sky Lake or Kaby Lake, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB PCiE , NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 with 4GB GDDR5, etc​

I am not a "techie", and I do not care about the last last 5% of speed. The 2015 max'd MBP is approx 15-20% more $$$ than Dell. Staying in Mac OS probably offsets that difference, but not at the expense of real world performance. Any thoughts, suggestions on these alternatives?

Again, I do not see this as a Mac vs PC issue. I see it as a price/performance/convenience.

TIA.

John

sc_john

After re-reading my post, I don't think I clearly asked the question I had intended. :facesmack: Again, I am not a techie on computer specs, so my question is "Are these two laptops comparable in terms of performance for photo editing?" I realize the Dell is newer, but in reality is there a significant difference in the performance I should expect. By "significant", I mean 20% or 25%+. Regarding pricing, I consider these machines to be equal, since I would have to purchase $400-$500 of Windows software, if I go in that direction. Thanks.

John

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm using a maxed out MBP 15 Retina 2014, 1TB SSD etc., I believe it's more or less identical to the 2015 version, and I couldn't be happier. My warmest recommendations :thumbup: