The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which new MAC for photoshop work

felix5616

Since loosing my computer and camera gear in a fire I now need a new MAC computer for photoshop work and printing. I'd like to use a 30" or 32" NEC monitor that i can calibrate. Can I run either of these on a new iMAC or do I need a trashcan MacPro?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I use an iMac5K with 48GB RAM, 1TB SSD, and a second NEC monitor. It works quite well for LR, PS, and C1. The SSD is VERY fast, and my photos are on an external 20TB thunderbolt RAID. I think it's the best Mac setup for photo work. The Mac Pros excel at video.

--Matt

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If you only need one monitor, I'd buy the trash can. It's kind of old tech, but powerful old tech and it doesn't waste much space on your desk. It also has more holes on the back for external hardware than the iMac. They just reduced the price, didn't they?

rriley

If you only need one monitor, I'd buy the trash can. It's kind of old tech, but powerful old tech and it doesn't waste much space on your desk. It also has more holes on the back for external hardware than the iMac. They just reduced the price, didn't they?

The "Trash Can" Mac Pro will drive up to six monitors nicely!

k-hawinkler

The "Trash Can" Mac Pro will drive up to six monitors nicely!
I use my "Trash Can" Mac Pro (6 CPUs, max memory and max internal "SSD") with 2 displays and lots of external storage devices (actually 16 eSATA connections via adapters).

One is a fairly new Dell 4K display, the other a 10 year Apple Cinema Display that still works. I use the 4K for image editing, the other one when I need text to be a bit larger. :facesmack:

stngoldberg

I have a fully loaded Trash Can with dual monitors including an Ezio self calibrated monitor. The speed and storage are ideal for still photography
Stanley

DougDolde

I have the trash can with 1TBb SSD and 32 GB of ram. It's fine for IQ180 files
with one exception. Using Topaz Lab's Impression plug in on these
filed brings it to a crawl. Jumpy or frozen cursor, can't multitask when it's computing