The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OM lenses on Nikon bellows

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've ordered a Nikon PB-4 T/S bellows to use for macro photography, but would like to use some of the OM Zuiko bellows lenses. Does anybody know if it's possible to find an OM lens mount to F camera mount glassless adapter for this purpose?

Yes, using Nikkor lenses would make sense, but I'm also buying the Olympus 65-116mm extension tube for travel macros, so need a couple of OM-mount anyway, and I already have one, the excellent 50mm f/2.

V

Vivek

This looks like the solution. According to the description, the correction lens can be removed for macro photography. I've ordered it and will see how it works.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=invoice&A=details&Q=&sku=995089&is=REG
Unfortunately, it will not work well. Ideally, you need no obstructions in your light path. The adapter in the link will has a narrow opening (after you remove the glass).

You could hink about replacing the front F mount with an Olympus OM mount. Or glue an OM mount to a Nikon F mount (OM extension tube, Nikon ext ring K1, etc) to make our own adapter.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Unfortunately, it will not work well. Ideally, you need no obstructions in your light path. The adapter in the link will has a narrow opening (after you remove the glass).

You could hink about replacing the front F mount with an Olympus OM mount. Or glue an OM mount to a Nikon F mount (OM extension tube, Nikon ext ring K1, etc) to make our own adapter.
You are most probably right, but I have access to a workshop that may be able to widen the opening if at all possible.

In the meantime, I've been made aware of the Mamiya 645 bellows which has the advantage of tilt and swing (the Nikon and also the Contax bellows only offer swing and need to be tilted 90 degrees to offer tilt). The Mamiya bellows is slightly more expensive, but apparently easy to modify and very easy to find.

V

Vivek

Glad you do realise the limits of the PB-4. It practically is useless, to be honest.

Mamiya or Bronica bellows are far better.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Glad you do realise the limits of the PB-4. It practically is useless, to be honest.

Mamiya or Bronica bellows are far better.
So I ordered the Mamiya (the non-AF version). Will probably buy the Mamiya 120mm f/4 macro as well. That seems to be an excellent lens and a bargain at current prices. The bellows was in no way a bargain unfortunately, but the copy I've ordered seems to be in more or less mint condition.

Since I'm on that slippery slope already, I suppose it's just a matter of time before I buy a Mamiya 645 body too, and that 80mm f/1.9 that I've always wanted to try. I have enough film that needs to be used anyway, and when I'm out of film, how about some old digital back to make the setup complete.... :ROTFL: :loco:

Just you wait and see :D