The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Polarizer deterioration

Knorp

Anyone ever experienced this with (C)PL filters ?

About deterioration

A PL filter will deteriorate due to its structure. PL filters, if degraded, will become reddish, instead of an original grey color. It is recommended that a new PL filter be purchased every 4 to 5 years if you are serious about your work.
Text from the Marumi website ... :confused:

TIA

V

Vivek

Bart, Look for delamination. The polarizer elements are sandwiched between glass.

thrice

I have a couple of the first mrc kaesemann linear polarisers b+w brought out. Still very neutral and functional. Maybe if they’re exposed to high intensity UV 24/7 or if they're super low quality they might degrade...

Knorp

Bart, Look for delamination. The polarizer elements are sandwiched between glass.
Thanks Vivek, but my polarisers are still perfectly greyish.
I was just wondering if anybody experienced this reddish discolouring this particular manufacturer is referring to.

Kind regards.

Knorp

I have a couple of the first mrc kaesemann linear polarisers b+w brought out. Still very neutral and functional. Maybe if they’re exposed to high intensity UV 24/7 or if they're super low quality they might degrade...
Thanks, like you I have some pretty old polarisers but mine too still look fine and function properly.
It's just that I've never heard of such claim before.

thrice

Hmmm yeah I've never seen the discolouration deterioration mentioned before.

I'll check my Kenko Vernier which I got with my M9 in 2009, that would be the lowest quality CPL I own (still pretty damn good though).