The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New 5K Imac plus storage question

bomzi

Does anyone have thoughts or experiences to share on the new 5K Imac screens?

I'm an architectural photographer and have been working off a late 2009 Imac for the last 7 years. The computer runs just fine, although quite slow, but I'm running out of storage despite the cd drive with a second internal hard drive. So I figured that this is a good time as any for an upgrade.

My thought and budget are sending me towards the new Imac's, rather than the Mac Pro with a separate monitor, but I'm curious about people's thoughts on the new screens. Color accuracy is of course important. I use ColorMunki to profile my current display and it seems to work fine.

Also, on the storage front, I was thinking of some sort of RAID array with a second large hard drive for backup. Would anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Randhir

jduncan

Does anyone have thoughts or experiences to share on the new 5K Imac screens?

I'm an architectural photographer and have been working off a late 2009 Imac for the last 7 years. The computer runs just fine, although quite slow, but I'm running out of storage despite the cd drive with a second internal hard drive. So I figured that this is a good time as any for an upgrade.

My thought and budget are sending me towards the new Imac's, rather than the Mac Pro with a separate monitor, but I'm curious about people's thoughts on the new screens. Color accuracy is of course important. I use ColorMunki to profile my current display and it seems to work fine.

Also, on the storage front, I was thinking of some sort of RAID array with a second large hard drive for backup. Would anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Randhir
Hi,

I hope this is already resolved. If not, let us know.

Best regards,

bomzi

Well, I ended up buying a new Imac. It seemed to be the easiest route.

I have had some issues with color calibration though. Despite using ColorMunki, I'm not very confident in the accuracy of the color.

rriley

Well, I ended up buying a new Imac. It seemed to be the easiest route.

I have had some issues with color calibration though. Despite using ColorMunki, I'm not very confident in the accuracy of the color.
If you need more storage take a look at the Promise Technology Pegasus 3 RAID enclosures. I have used them for years with zero issues.

Frankly

I gave up calibrating my iMac 5k (Spyder and Munki) but I also threw out my printers so now I lead a blissful screen-centric existence. It has a wonderful screen for enjoying images but it is really hard to calibrate it dark and flat enough to mimic print. And switching between profiles is a PITA.

Even using the simple Apple profile and sending out for the occasional print I usually get pleasing results on the first pass, although I budget for three tests before printing large. Also if I am not watching "my" printer I have a lot less urgency to tweak anything.

Seriously, I've been into this since owning a Scitex Iris and Radius Pressview, long talks with Andrew Rodney and Jon Cone. And it has been wonderful to toss all that garbage away and enjoy the screen!

I have been using a faster 7200rpm Firewire 3 drive with no RAID or extra expense as my working drive and cheaper USB 3 generic drives to do backups, manually cycling several drives that periodically get stored offsite. It's not as fancy as other's solutions but it's very simple and inexpensive, and I don't see any greater risk scenario.