The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

8Go or 16 Go for a new Macbook Pro 13" ?

steflaurent974

Hi there, I am wondering which is the best, assuming I am using Lightroom, Photoshop. I use 22, 24 and 36,4 Mpx cameras, shooting in raw.
These new macbook can't have memory upgrade, so my guess is 16 Go for the future...

If you have any ideas about that, tell me please.

Stephane.

k-hawinkler

I always max out memory - whatever that is - and the SSD like internal storage.
That buys a few years of additional use IMHO.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I always max out memory - whatever that is - and the SSD like internal storage.
That buys a few years of additional use IMHO.
+1 to that. 16GB RAM is a no-brainer, but maxing out the SSD, or at least buy one with 1TB, easily adds a year or three to the life of your MacBook. I bought a maxed out 15" 3 years ago, and the only limitation so far is that I wear it out physically. Had I gone for 8GB RAM and/or 512GB SSD, I would have been hitting the ceiling on a regular basis already.

+1 to that. 16GB RAM is a no-brainer, but maxing out the SSD, or at least buy one with 1TB, easily adds a year or three to the life of your MacBook. I bought a maxed out 15" 3 years ago, and the only limitation so far is that I wear it out physically. Had I gone for 8GB RAM and/or 512GB SSD, I would have been hitting the ceiling on a regular basis already.
It's a shame that you can no longer upgrade Macbook pro memory or hard drives, once purchased. Buy as much of both as you can afford.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's a shame that you can no longer upgrade Macbook pro memory or hard drives, once purchased. Buy as much of both as you can afford.
Don't even talk about it. I recently changed battery and hard disk on a 10 year old MacBook Pro. Changing the battery took 30 seconds and the hard disk a couple of minutes plus the time it took to restore data. I have recently bought an old Mac Pro to have a machine that is more flexible than my current, and consider buying one more now. The Retina model that I've had for three and a half year now is getting worn. I watched while one of the loudspeakers were changed recently, and it was pretty clear that this machine isn't designed to be serviced or repaired. I suppose the current model is even worse.