The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Just Bought an Aquatech Base Water Housing

Frankly

for my D810. They are having a Black Friday sale through the weekend so prices are 10-20% off.

Now I'm wondering what to do with it?

Well I wouldn't have been that frivolous... I do want to make some quality water photos and I do have some vague ideas. I figure this Winter with my knee high wading boots I can maybe get some interesting over/under photos of the ice line freezing up on local ponds and lakes (I've never seen this kind of photo so either I'm onto something or it's just a dank muddy mess). Once it warms up again we have a few spots on Skaneatles and Lake Ontario we frequent, we kayak as well. And hopefully we can get to real waves and body surfing at some point.

I'm not a diver or surfer but I am hoping that shallow water adventures will be more possible than my previous attempts with plastic bags and a healthy fearful respect of dunking my camera.

This is the Base model that comes with a pistol grip with focus and shutter buttons but no backside controls. I am assuming that once I judge the day and get the basic exposure and ISO figured out, I can lock things down in manual or rely on Apertue Priority. And center focusing spot and recomposing? We'll see. It actually is cheaper to by the Base model and upgrade to the full control back panel after the fact but first I want to see what can be accomplished with a little practice and planning.

Anyone else doing anything like this? Any experiences with Aquatech housings?

xvvvz

>>Now I'm wondering what to do with it?<<

Heh. Just bought a used waterproof compact camera and was testing it out for the first time in a filled sink last night! Probably a bit of a waste since most smartphones will all be waterproof in a year or two plus have even better camera specs, but this will be my "don't worry about it" camera for kayaking, swimming and other adventures where I don't want to to risk taking my smartphone.