The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Buying from MPB?

jdphoto

Does anyone here have any reviews buying from MPB? They have decent prices, but not sure where the actual gear is coming from Europe or the U.S.?
Fair warranties are also in their favor and their business model seems solid. Just curious about the accuracy of their gear descriptions and overall satisfaction. Thanks.

Don Libby

I've sold to them just haven't bought anything from them yet. I've also sold and bought from KEH without issues.

DougDolde

They are great to deal with. And they are having a 10% off sale now on all lenses. I just bought a Nikon 20mm f1.8 G lens in like new condition for $606 with free shipping and no sales tax to California. .

Unlike KEH who will charge sales tax to California

jdphoto

I was curious about a serial number for a particular lens and Bert @MPB went to go look at stock and came back with the lens in hand. That's pretty good customer service, imo. Most items are in stock in NYC and the prices are very good. It even comes with a warranty. I've used KEH in the past, but there grading system isn't what it used to be.

jdphoto

I was a long time customer of B&H, but after several items arrived with practically no packing material in the box, I decided my money is best spent with a company that shows more care in shipping. Also B&H has stopped using UPS in our location. The last thing you want is a lens banging around inside a shipping box. KEH also had a lot of my business for used items, but as mentioned before their grading system isn't what it used to be. I purchased a lens from them to use for landscape and it was graded as "excellent". However, the filter ring was bent (dropped lens) and I couldn't use any filters at all. That, in my opinion, is not excellent.

jdphoto

I just bought a Zeiss ZF.2 makro-planar 100mm for my Nikon gear, so I looked for same on MPB.
They have none. Can't buy what they don't have.

Both KEH and B&H Photo had a selection of them.

- Leigh
When key wording a search for a Zeiss ZF.2 macro-planar 100mm on MPB, nothing comes up. However, I searched Zeiss ZF 100mm f/2 T* Makro-Planar instead and found this one. Some search engines need more specifics.
Try this...

https://www.mpb.com/en-us/used-equi...00mm-f-2-t-makro-planar-nikon-fit/sku-768689/

Leigh

When key wording a search for a Zeiss ZF.2 macro-planar 100mm on MPB, nothing comes up. However, I searched Zeiss ZF 100mm f/2 T* Makro-Planar instead and found this one.
The ZF and ZF.2 are two different lenses.
The ZF.2 has contacts to mate with the camera electronics, letting the camera set the aperture.
The ZF does not.

- Leigh

stngoldberg

I was a long time customer of B&H, but after several items arrived with practically no packing material in the box, I decided my money is best spent with a company that shows more care in shipping. Also B&H has stopped using UPS in our location. The last thing you want is a lens banging around inside a shipping box. KEH also had a lot of my business for used items, but as mentioned before their grading system isn't what it used to be. I purchased a lens from them to use for landscape and it was graded as "excellent". However, the filter ring was bent (dropped lens) and I couldn't use any filters at all. That, in my opinion, is not excellent.
My experience is the opposite. I find their packaging to be excellent along with their service and their deep inventory positions
Stanley

Leigh

My experience is the opposite. I find their packaging to be excellent along with their service and their deep inventory positions
Hi Stanley,

I agree completely.

I've bought many items from them (waaaay too many), and everything arrived in perfect shape.

- Leigh

jdphoto

The ZF and ZF.2 are two different lenses.
The ZF.2 has contacts to mate with the camera electronics, letting the camera set the aperture.
The ZF does not.

- Leigh
Thanks Leigh, I did not know that...I really have to get out more!

I have to agree with jd about B&H’s really poor packaging. Whatever they’re good for, it’s not packaging for shipment.

I buy a lot of fine art paper in boxes, and they frequently arrive with dinged corners. I’ve switched to itsupplies in stead, because they know how to package paper. B&H not only package poorly; they alsofail to respond to expressions of concern about it.

Yesterday I received a Canon lens from them, rattling around in the corner of a box.

Kirk