The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Mac Book Pro Special thanks

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just wanted to publicly thank Jack, Lloyd and Bob for guiding me on getting my new setup running especially with SSD drives since this is the new technology out and working together i think i have a pretty respectable desktop replacement for myself. I get caught a lot on the road doing heavy processing sometimes and staying up half the night for a show the next morning was wearing thin on me saving a hour or two means a lot at 4 or 5 day all day events. Basically this is a new MBP 15 inch 2.93 processor and at the moment 6gb of ram. Waiting on OWC with new MBP with regards to the use of 8gbs . It can be done but does it work is the question. Also it has 2 Intel XM-25 80gbs drives running in Raid 0 configuration. So far against my old desktop I am very close to it's performance but going this route is not very cost effective if sitting at your desktop all the time. If your a road warrior than obviously the laptop is more at play but it will cost you too. This was not cheap to do and still has it's limitations and if your lifting very large files all the time than this option may not be the best when working with over 500mg files. Although running Lloyds CS4 speed test on a 722 mg files i actually matched my desktop at 56 seconds to do a long drawn out action he created.

Anyway thanks guys and I DO appreciate all the guidance.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just a update without all the details which would take a whole day to write
Not to bore with all the details but went from 6gb to 8gb this morning on my 15 in 2.93 by pulling the 2gb chip and replacing it with a match chip that I already bought from OWC. First off so far it seem to run stable without any visual issues going on. Booted right up after instal than I ran my tests. I will just give you the improvements from going from 6gb to 8gb. I have been doing tests all along in Photoshop going from 1 SSD to 2 SSD in Raid O and from 4gb to 6gb to finally 8gb. Let's just say there have been improvements going up in every category of my testing. Just from 6gb to 8gb iin a very long action in Photoshop I got just before the install 59 seconds to complete this action with 6gb after the install to 8gb this action took 54 seconds. Capture One which is a lot like Aperture to process files I shaved some time off also. Here the test was 10 Raw files to a output of 228 mgs each with 6gbs it took 3:55 and with 8gb it took 3:44 and this is basically a more processor hungry program than Ram but Ram still made up some time. My X bench score jumped up about 6 points and my Geek score jumped up about 80.

So overhaul this is working as expected . These may not seem like much but as i work with very large files both in Quark and Photoshop this amount of ram will show even better improvements. I am pushing the Ram but not to it's fullest yet but everyday work it seems to be making very nice improvements. I will continue to work on things that push it too it's knees but so far very nice. Also heat and fan speed have not changed at all. Also I still am getting my blinking at me . Which is a Apple issue. I still have some permission issues in I tunes and I life products that are driving me nuts and can't seem to straighten out and frankly I give up. I hope 10.5.7 will straighten things out in that area and also the blinking issue.

.Next move is obviously Enterprise SSD drives but that will wait until the price drops. I n reality in Photoshop it actually beat a 2.66 667mhz 12gb of Ram with 3 10k drives with Raid 0. Now that is impressive for a laptop. In raw processing I lost time because of the reduction in cores but not by major amount but overall kicked the crap out of my old 2.4 2006 MPB. Can't have it all but this is good.

I originally posted this on MacRumors but overall it seems to be working very well as a desktop replacement and road killer which is what i really needed more than anything. You want better performance obviously going with a MacPro is truly the answer as Jack smokes me running C1 with more cores

Now I can stop being a freaking geek and get back to reality.