The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Travel backup solutions (For SD cards)?

simonclivehughes

Planning a trip in the fall and I’m trying to find a solution that will allow me to easily backup SD cards from my Sony cams to a portable HDD. (I used to have the Joby Digital Wallet and another later brand years ago.) I will be taking my iPad Pro (3rd gen 12.9 256GB) with me but I don’t want to use it as a repository for backing up my SD cards. The iPad has a USB-C connector and I use a Nucleum hub which will accept SD cards for ingesting into the iPad, but alas, I’m sure iOS 12 will not allow me to direct the files to an external plug-in USB HDD.

From cursory surfing, I don’t seem to see any dedicated devices. I’m wondering what forum members might suggest that will give me a small, portable device that is a simple plug-and-play solution. I’d like to keep the cost to under $300USD if at all possible. Any suggestions would be great!

algrove

FWIW, I very much like the credit card sized Samsung 2TB SSD. Fast read/write speeds and they have come down in price dramatically in the last 8 weeks.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

JoelM

Yes, they have been around for many years. I would definitely go this route when travelling. Just plug the SD card in and you're good to go. I would also bring many cards :)

Joel

darr

I have been using two Nexto Di units for travel backups and in seven years I have not had a failure. Depending upon the model, they can be pricey, but for the amount of time and usage I cannot complain.
I think I bought mine from B&H Photo. Click the photo for their website.

--

EDIT:

Here is a NEW Nexto DI ND 2730 Digital Photo Storage (750GB) model for $399
Buy-It-Now via dealer

Last edited:

simonclivehughes

Thanks for the tips! I got excited about the WD drives until I started to read the Amazon reviews... wow, a lot of 1-star reviews describing issues!

The Nexto DI units look good, but seem costly (I couldn't even find a price on their website!). Also they seem only to be available from the manufacturer which is a bit worrying.