The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The MacOS v. Windows 10 Conundrum

k-hawinkler

A number of months ago my late 2013 Mac Pro trashcan was overheating all the time - no airflow. Once I brushed out all the dust at the bottom of the unit and reestablished full airflow it has been working like new.

Problem solved for now. :thumbup:

I think I should brush out the crud more often than once in 6 years. :grin:

iiiNelson

If anyone is still interested in this topic, I did a recent Windows build that saved me over $10,000 over buying the new Mac Pro. Like someone pointed out above, once you're in Photoshop, it doesn't matter what the OS is—they both look and work the same. And, Windows is not that bad to use—this is coming from someone who has only used Macs for 30 years. Article on my experience here: https://nine-volt.com/blogs/news/building-a-mac-pro-killer-for-a-less-than-one-third-of-the-price
I bought an iPad Pro in October 2019 and a 16” MacBook Pro (i9-9980, 32 GB RAM, 5500m 8GB, 2TB SSD, etc.) in January of this year. Still want a desktop ultimately but perhaps I can hold off a few more years until I see what will happen with the ARM based chipsets now.

The more I thought about it and researched the more hesitant I was to go the Windows route. I’d be forced back to Adobe unless Davinci improved some processing of ProRES and added native ProRES RAW support. In reality I really don’t like using Windows still... and if truly building an apples to apples system there isn’t a large price difference between a Mac Pro and what you can get on a Windows machine with the same exact parts. Obviously you can surpass the Mac Pro in raw power with AMD based chipsets but that ignores the benefits you receive in software optimization within a semi-closed system that Apple provides.

k-hawinkler

“Perhaps I can hold off a few more years until I see what will happen with the ARM based chipsets now.”

Yup. :clap:

4season

Awesome PC build, looks like a sci-fi movie prop! But why the choice of Geforce RX rather than Quadro RX video?

I'm alright with Windows 10, some things I like better versus Mac OS Catalina, others less so.

MacOS Big Sur running on ARM and iOS 14 should be interesting though: Will they really manage to make jumping between devices as seamless as the videos suggest? They've tried this before with Handoff, but this latest effort seems much more ambitious what with apps making it to Mac OS and even Airpod Pro doing a (Dolby Atmos!) juggling act between devices.

iiiNelson

Awesome PC build, looks like a sci-fi movie prop! But why the choice of Geforce RX rather than Quadro RX video?

I'm alright with Windows 10, some things I like better versus Mac OS Catalina, others less so.

MacOS Big Sur running on ARM and iOS 14 should be interesting though: Will they really manage to make jumping between devices as seamless as the videos suggest? They've tried this before with Handoff, but this latest effort seems much more ambitious what with apps making it to Mac OS and even Airpod Pro doing a (Dolby Atmos!) juggling act between devices.
I think it’s possible. In a pinch my iPad Pro makes an excellent extended display to my 16” MBP. I believe that once the Mac and iOS app stores are unified on some deeper level, we will see a deeper level of integration and maturation of what’s possible. Imagine a time when developers don’t have to make scaled down versions of desktop class apps. Imagine what that would do for the photographer and/or content creator when your phone can literally handle editing 4k video and instantly upload to websites like YouTube or social media sites without the need for a $2k+ computer. I mean if I’m being honest I can do this on a iPad Pro now without any issues at all. What will be different is that with external storage there really won’t be any real limitations to the process. Essentially ARM chipsets will democratize matures production through desktop class apps that can be used for both mobile and traditional desktop machines. I’d be interested to see if Apple incorporates AMD GPU’s with their new ARM chipsets but I imagine they’ll look to scale power by means of running multiple ARM cores on a single board to scale processing power accordingly.

It’s sort of exciting and most anyone that has used a 2018 or newer iPad Pro can likely appreciate the experience... even more so since they added a true file type system and native external drive and Bluetooth accessory support.

BFD

GeForce RTX 2080ti is about $1200 whereas a comparable Quadra RTX card is about $4500. Crazy thing is, the performance numbers on both are nearly the same—take a look on Geekbench or any other system tester. So that's why I went with the 2080ti. Although Quadra cards can be daisy chained together (which means you can add up their combined RAM) where I don't think you can with the GeForce cards.

spb

Staff member
A Mac mini 2019 six core fully stuffed is more than fast and future-proof enough for me. My Mac mini 2012 is still going strong but a tad slow now, the new one is running rings around it.

Lessee: I paid $1200 for that mini 2012 and it is eight years old, still going. I paid $1800 for the new one, it'll probably last the same. The 2012 machine required virtually no maintenance at all, I expect the same for the new one.

Why should I invest oodles of time and money learning how to build a custom computer and run an OS I have zero knowledge of when what I have does everything I need, will cost me less than $150/year on average, and lets me put all of my time, energy, and money into what I want to do rather than dealing with the equipment to do it?

:D

G
Couldn't put that better myself.

spb

Staff member
The only thing that would be tempt me away from Mac is Linux, which I used as an intermediary O/S when I gave up on Windows 7. Ran with SuSe and then Slackware for 5 years, until someone gave me a secondhand Mac. Since then never used anything other than Mac. Totally happy as I soon realized knowledge from Slackware and LInux generally is not wasted. All commands work on a Mac in the Terminal.

paladin

for me i do my own construction of a PCs. i as a technician by trade i learned do not go to the neurotic level and plow big money into them. my current using rendition is 5 years old i believe and still runs quite well. been running windows 10 well before it entered to world of free upgrade. i do have 4 generations of homebuild going accross 10 years in technology and 3 running win 10 current and one running win10 dev also known as vNext. not to mention the 3 laptops between myself and my daughter.
plain and simple they work and work well as in rock stable. none cost over 1500 to build and all a tweaked to the needs of each in the family

i also work with macs. prefer me being in control of all aspects in the long run so PC. just updated to iospad 14 and as usual underwhelmed with what was really done. still such a limiting tool. but. it does play most movies well (depending on format used). at least my ipad pro allows somewhat easier data access/transfer. their file manager is challenged and awkward.

but then that's me.

Last edited:

daz7

I use both systems on different computers and like them both. I cannot see one being better than other. They are just different.
Just as a matter of preference, I prefer working on windows a little bit better as there are never any issues with any of the external gear, regardless if wifi, over LAN or hard-plugged. Mac sometimes has problem with external gear.
Speed is the same on both systems, and both are stable.

AdalynnRitter

Choosing between MacOS and Windows 10 is a personal decision that depends on individual preferences and needs. I can name some differences that can help you make a choice. MacOS is designed to work seamlessly with Apple hardware and software, while Windows 10 is more compatible with a wider range of hardware and software. MacOS is generally considered to be more secure than Windows 10, with fewer malware and virus attacks. While MacOS has a robust set of built-in software, the availability of third-party software can be limited compared to Windows 10. If you continue to use Windows 10, you may need activation keys. You can get windows product key reddit for free.

Last edited: