The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Touchpad viable alternative to mouse - rsi issue starting

bbodine9

Mac mini user here and starting to get some rsi symptoms, can anyone comment on using a tablet/pen instead of a mouse for all computer functions?

Thanks in advance!

Godfrey

Mac mini user here and starting to get some rsi symptoms, can anyone comment on using a tablet/pen instead of a mouse for all computer functions?

Thanks in advance!
Note: If you've been using a mouse for a long time, any other device will take some learning and adaptation time.

I use the Apple Magic Trackpad 2 after many many years of using a mouse. When I first started using a trackpad, it felt weird for a week or two. Now I can barely figure out what to do with a mouse. :D

The trackpad allows you access to a lot more of modern macOS gesture control capabilities, many of which can be shut off in System Preferences if you don't like them. I suspect that the trackpad is much less conducive to RSI due to the way you use it.

I had a good tablet/pen once upon a time, but the UI never became very fluid for me no matter how much I used it. I found it mostly useful when I needed fine control for drawing, but that's a very limited portion of my time using the computer. Now, for that kind of need, I use the iPad and a Pencil ... and I find similarly that it is still a very limited portion of my time.

G