The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 150 3.5 with Hoya +1

ahotflash

hello all,
I use a 150 3.5mm auto focus lens in auto focus mode with the +1 HOYA filter (on the AFD II Mamiya body) for film portraits as it gives tighter in camera crops as compared to the closest focusing distance of the 150 3.5 af.
-will using the +1 HOYA front filter strain the auto focus? the auto focus hunts a lot in single shots with the +1 HOYA).
-my last 150 3.5 will not focus in auto mode anymore so I bought a new/used one coming today. And don't want to buy another so please give me input if I am ok using the +1 HOYA with this lens safely.
thank you, Doug Y.

MartinN

The autofocus lenses on Mamiya AFD hunts quite a lot. I think some hunting is perfectly normal, and of no big concern.
Theoretically hunting can degrade lens gears, but sadly AF failure is common with 150mm Mamiya lenses and the cause
of this is obscure to me. I think it just happens.

BTW, I have used Achromatic CloseUp Lenses a lot on medium format and I think achromats are worth the extra money.
I would use a single element for macro only in a pinch, but +1 is not that much magnification.

I would NEVER use AF for Macro distances.