The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mac Update 10.5.7 is out

jonoslack

The spinning wheel has been there about twenty minutes now. Still no prompt for the root/administrator password. Does it ever ask for the password?

Does any progress bar ever show up?

Is it maybe just downloading more files and the web is slow?

This is not typical Apple for friendly UI. It should show some sort of progress window so you know it is working and not hung.

I have work to do this morning and didn't need this. I am on my old thinkpad now.

Robert
Hard Luck Robert
Sounds like it's hung. I had no point with a missing status bar.

Like Steve, I downloaded the update (as I have to put it on more than one machine).

robsteve

Subscriber
The machine wouldn't shutdown via force quitting and then choosing the shutdown option. I had to hold down the power button until it did a hard shutdown.

The good news is it rebooted and I am now downloading the update file via the Apple web site. I will try uodating that way and see if it works.

Robert

robsteve

Subscriber
The download method worked fine and only took about five minutes to run the update. Only one reboot.

Now, what version of Safari should I try? The one on my machine is 3.2.3. I just tried it and it seems a lot slower than firefox in rendering the pages.

Robert

robsteve

Subscriber
BTW, thanks Stephen an Jono for the feedback.

Guy, you should edit your first post to suggest using the download instead of software update.

Robert

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Depends on what you are upgrading from as well. Mine went smooth with auto update as it should.

Are you up and running

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I installed the update on my iMac yesterday, and it has crashed 3 times since.....this is exactly 3 times more than it has crashed in the past 2 years.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Were you upgrading directly from 10.5.6, or some earlier version? You might want to try running it again from the download.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The download method worked fine and only took about five minutes to run the update. Only one reboot.

Now, what version of Safari should I try? The one on my machine is 3.2.3. I just tried it and it seems a lot slower than firefox in rendering the pages.

Robert
Robert,

I suggest you download the Safari 4 public beta --- LOTS faster than earlier versions.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The spinning wheel has been there about twenty minutes now. Still no prompt for the root/administrator password. Does it ever ask for the password?

Does any progress bar ever show up?

Is it maybe just downloading more files and the web is slow?

This is not typical Apple for friendly UI. It should show some sort of progress window so you know it is working and not hung.

I have work to do this morning and didn't need this. I am on my old thinkpad now.

Robert
Rob,

Mine downloaded installed and rebooted (x2) in about 10 minutes total...rock stable since then.

I would consider rebooting computer and if you can redownload...if not reinstall OS X then immediately redownload...doubt if you will lose any other information or preferences.

Bob

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Glad to hear that you have resolved the update.

Personally I was unable to get Safari 4 to work in a MSN account that I use for commercial email and when I am traveling out of country...java thing.

Sure wish that the Steves would bury the hatchet.

Bob

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I had been holding off on upgrading, but had to since I just installed an ATI 4870 video card in addition to the original 2600XT in my '08 Mac Pro - and this card requires 10.5.7. I hadn't had a reason to reboot it in a few months, so there was quite a list of updates available. Left it to run the update and when I got back it was up and running the updated OS. Shut it off, put the HD4870 in slot 1, the 2600XT in slot 2, rearranged the video cables, and fired it up. Came right up, remembering profiles for the monitors, their arrangement, and all. Flawless Victory!

Can't say I notice much speed difference, but then most basic things take no time on this machine anyway.

As a heads up: VMware Fusion's 3D acceleration is incompatible with 10.5.7 so should be disabled in all VMs until VMware issues an update.