Site Sponsors

Thread: Mac Update 10.5.7 is out

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mac Update 10.5.7 is out

Okay downloaded , installed and working just fine. It did reboot 2 times before final boot up but I seem to be running good and feels snappier. There is a safari update as well.Do that after the Mac update

http://www.macrumors.com/

ALSO BACKUP BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Mac Update 10.5.7 is out

Okay I have done the update for the OS and everything seems to be working just fine. One thing of note if you do the update your machine will try and reboot 2 times before it finally reboots up. This seems to be very normal. Also after the update there is Safari update for 3.2.3 or for the new Beta which I just installed and working good. Biggest issue I have seen as far as bitching and moaning was it is slow to update and the reboot 2 times. But the only bad thing I saw ws a stuck resolution on monitors but I think very isolated. Not a lot of bitching and moaning. My wifi is certainly better for starters and the system seems snappier. Suggest doing a clone of what you have on drive to a external. Run repair permissions before updating than do it again as soon as you finally boot up with new update. good luck but all seems well and actually was waiting for this update daily. Seems improvements are done
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._7_update.html
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3397
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI There Guy
    Different experience here (of course)
    I downloaded the update rather than using Software update (got several machines to do).
    installed the update (took 3mins) - only one reboot and no obvious issues since, tried:
    Capture one
    Aperture
    office
    Fusion
    and all the normal stuff.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

It's been a nasty bug that has plagued tethering via USB. I know that Doug was testing it late last night and hope to have an update for you soon. Read more about the bug on our web site: http://www.captureintegration.com/category/the-techie/

Chris Lawery(e-mail Me)
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just loaded it up on my desktop. Had the same experience as Guy in that my machine appeared to attempt a few boots before actually launching. Everything seems normal now, and I definitely noted mail and safari seem to run more spiffily.

PS: Note that after any major software install, I do a few manual re-boots regardless.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just loaded my desktop as well and apart from the starts and stops when installing it finally booted up to the desktop and "voila" no problems.

Safari is like lightning with the new beta and the new OS. WOW!

Woody Spedden

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    I just loaded my desktop as well and apart from the starts and stops when installing it finally booted up to the desktop and "voila" no problems.

Safari is like lightning with the new beta and the new OS. WOW!

Woody Spedden
    Just upgraded...first patches accessible files then it boots into a protected environment where inaccessible system files ( when running ) can be replaced or patched and finally boots to the upgraded system...very smooth.

If all the upgrades in my life were this clean I would be very happy.

Bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm fascinated by this
    you all seem to have had a different experience
    On my MBP 17" unibody, it unpacked from the disk image in about 3 or 4 minutes and then asked for a reboot - nothing else, no protected mode, no extra reboots.

Odd!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Aperture also boots up very quickly and runs quite fast. Nice!

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I'm fascinated by this
    you all seem to have had a different experience
    On my MBP 17" unibody, it unpacked from the disk image in about 3 or 4 minutes and then asked for a reboot - nothing else, no protected mode, no extra reboots.

Odd!
    yes jono,

the first reboot was on the order of a minute with no apple logo then restarted with the happy apple and cosmic screen...only a few minutes in toto.

I have just purchased a HP mini netbook and keep thinking if it were more that $379 USD I would dump it for a Mac...only need it for email and net when traveling.

Hope Apple address this market at some point...my iPhone is not adequate for international travel.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just loaded it on my MacBook Pro and it only took the one boot -- so interesting stuff going on. It may need to do the reboots to re-arrange files on certain systems appropriately? Anyway it loads either way, and I got the same boost to Safari and Mail on the laptop too.

Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow.... you guys are trusting.....!

I am somewhat new to Macs, but in fairness, I would never install a brand new OS upgrade on the day it comes out.

In former times ... .... on windows service pack releases.... I waited at minimum 2-3 weeks to see what can go wrong and possible fixes.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Georg Baumann View Post
    Wow.... you guys are trusting.....!

I am somewhat new to Macs, but in fairness, I would never install a brand new OS upgrade on the day it comes out.

In former times ... .... on windows service pack releases.... I waited at minimum 2-3 weeks to see what can go wrong and possible fixes.
    Hi Georg
    Aren't we just - I quite agree - I never did (or do) install Windows service packs for at least a month or so.

I can only remember one problem with an apple update - 2 or 3 years ago, it was not that important, and was fixed within 2 or 3 days.

I guess we're all trusting . . . .because we've learned to trust!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I installed the update on my iMac yesterday, and it has crashed 3 times since.....this is exactly 3 times more than it has crashed in the past 2 years.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Scott G View Post
    I installed the update on my iMac yesterday, and it has crashed 3 times since.....this is exactly 3 times more than it has crashed in the past 2 years.

HI There Scott
    First thing to do is to 'repair permissions'

Applications / Utilities / Disk utiility

click on the Macintosh HD, and the repair permissions option should be there

Second thing to do is . . .erm . . ask Jack!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jono, I'll give that a whirl.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is Safari now faster than Firefox? I have been using Firefox since I moved to a Mac about a year ago because Safari seemed to be a bit slower on rendering the pages.

Which version of Safari should I be using?

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How long does this update take? I chose the update option and it shows the updated dowloaded, but there doesn't seem to be any progress bar and it didn't ask me for the root password.

When I mouse over the update window, the mouse icon changes to a colour wheel. Is my machine hung or does it just take a long time to do this update?

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rob,

I used the download from the Apple site, then installed it from my desktop. It was fairly long, but I'd read it was quicker than downloading through the software update function.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The spinning wheel has been there about twenty minutes now. Still no prompt for the root/administrator password. Does it ever ask for the password?

Does any progress bar ever show up?

Is it maybe just downloading more files and the web is slow?

This is not typical Apple for friendly UI. It should show some sort of progress window so you know it is working and not hung.

I have work to do this morning and didn't need this. I am on my old thinkpad now.

Robert

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robsteve View Post
    The spinning wheel has been there about twenty minutes now. Still no prompt for the root/administrator password. Does it ever ask for the password?

This is not typical Apple for friendly UI. It should show some sort of progress window so you know it is working and not hung.

I have work to do this morning and didn't need this. I am on my old thinkpad now.

Robert
    Hard Luck Robert
    Sounds like it's hung. I had no point with a missing status bar.

Like Steve, I downloaded the update (as I have to put it on more than one machine).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The machine wouldn't shutdown via force quitting and then choosing the shutdown option. I had to hold down the power button until it did a hard shutdown.

The good news is it rebooted and I am now downloading the update file via the Apple web site. I will try uodating that way and see if it works.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The download method worked fine and only took about five minutes to run the update. Only one reboot.

Now, what version of Safari should I try? The one on my machine is 3.2.3. I just tried it and it seems a lot slower than firefox in rendering the pages.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW, thanks Stephen an Jono for the feedback.

Guy, you should edit your first post to suggest using the download instead of software update.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Depends on what you are upgrading from as well. Mine went smooth with auto update as it should.

Are you up and running

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Scott G View Post

Were you upgrading directly from 10.5.6, or some earlier version? You might want to try running it again from the download.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The download method worked fine and only took about five minutes to run the update. Only one reboot.

Now, what version of Safari should I try? The one on my machine is 3.2.3. I just tried it and it seems a lot slower than firefox in rendering the pages.

Robert
    Robert,

I suggest you download the Safari 4 public beta --- LOTS faster than earlier versions.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Robert
    Rob,

Mine downloaded installed and rebooted (x2) in about 10 minutes total...rock stable since then.

I would consider rebooting computer and if you can redownload...if not reinstall OS X then immediately redownload...doubt if you will lose any other information or preferences.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear that you have resolved the update.

Personally I was unable to get Safari 4 to work in a MSN account that I use for commercial email and when I am traveling out of country...java thing.

Sure wish that the Steves would bury the hatchet.

Bob

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I had been holding off on upgrading, but had to since I just installed an ATI 4870 video card in addition to the original 2600XT in my '08 Mac Pro - and this card requires 10.5.7. I hadn't had a reason to reboot it in a few months, so there was quite a list of updates available. Left it to run the update and when I got back it was up and running the updated OS. Shut it off, put the HD4870 in slot 1, the 2600XT in slot 2, rearranged the video cables, and fired it up. Came right up, remembering profiles for the monitors, their arrangement, and all. Flawless Victory!

Can't say I notice much speed difference, but then most basic things take no time on this machine anyway.

As a heads up: VMware Fusion's 3D acceleration is incompatible with 10.5.7 so should be disabled in all VMs until VMware issues an update.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Personally I was unable to get Safari 4 to work in a MSN account that I use for commercial email and when I am traveling out of country...java thing.
    Safari 4 is incompatible with a lot of things, including google docs.